Tuesday, January 9, 2018

1 Samuel 1:9-20, 1 Samuel 2:1, 4-8, Mark 1:21-28

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


Receive the word of God, not as the word of men,
but as it truly is, the word of God. 1Thes 2:13


1 Samuel 1:9-20, 1 Samuel 2:1, 4-8, Mark 1:21-28


1 Samuel 1:9-20

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

There is much to learn here today. Hannah was pouring her heart out to God in all simplicity but Eli misunderstood her and judged her wrongly. He assumed her to be drunk at that early hour and approached her and accused her. She did not take offence but humbly explained her situation to him. She did not get angry or aggressive but meekly and patiently shared her sorrow and her prayer.

Eli blessed her and prayed that God would give her heart's desire and God did hear and answer.

This is the kind of attitude we too ought to have in prayer. A childlike attitude before God open and humble trusting that God will hear and answer. Help me to have the attitude of Hannah in prayer as well as in my relationships trusting God always to give me all I ask for and need especially those things that are necessary for me spiritually.

1 Samuel 2:1, 4-8

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Mama Mary knew Scripture, the Word was inscribed on her soul before God took flesh in her. She was familiar with Hannah's hymn of exultation and she was also aware that this beautiful expression of God's mercy, goodness, kindness, and love was her experience as well. Hannah conceived a son, Mary conceived the Son of God. Hannah knew the joy of becoming a mother, Mary experienced the joy of becoming not only the Mother of God but the Mother of all the living. 

God raised her up as no creature before her or since has been raised. She knew that her exaltation was the work of God and was in no way merited by her. She is God's perfect creature and we are all called to imitate her.

Grant Beloved, that I too live to give You glory always.

Mark 1:21-28

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

The evil spirits knew You because they recognized Your works. You had authority over all creation and You had only to command and You were obeyed. The fig tree withered, evil spirits were cast out, sickness was cured, the blind were given their sight, lepers were made whole, the lame, and the paralyzed could walk again. Yet people doubted You and kept asking for signs although none was ever needed - God Himself testified that You were His Son. 

Forgive me Beloved for I am often no better than the Pharisees - despite all the signs of Your loving Presence in my life I continue to live in denial often choosing to sin rather than choosing to walk in purity and truth.

Grant O Lord that I keep You ever before my eyes and to walk in the way that leads to life and not death. Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment