Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Romans 13:8-10, Psalm 112:1-2, 4-5, 9, Luke 14:25-33

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

If you are insulted for the name of Christ, blessed are you,
for the Spirit of God rests upon you. 1 Pet 4:14


Romans 13:8-10, Psalm 112:1-2, 4-5, 9,  Luke 14:25-33


Romans 13:8-10

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Love is God's nature and we are invited to share in the nature of God by our love both for God and for neighbor. The commandment to love neighbor as myself will ensure that I will always seek the good of the other before my own. In this way the world can enjoy the peace that You came to give. 

Love of neighbor will ensure that I will always put his or her needs before my own and in this I will do my part in establishing Your Kingdom on earth.  It is not easy Beloved, for we have inherited sin and weakness is part of our nature. Thank You for not abandoning us to struggle on our own but for giving us all the help we need to overcome. Most of all thank You for the gift of Your Holy Spirit who helps us to always choose the right, the true, the good, and the beautiful.

Psalm 112:1-2, 4-5, 9

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Your word tells us that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and wisdom is a gift of the Holy Spirit. If I love You so completely, so reverently, so ardently, then I will fear tremendously to wound You who has loved me before the foundations of the world were laid.

Teach me Beloved, to love as You do, without counting the cost. To love in the face of all obstacles. Sometimes it is hard to love my Lord. When I am selfish and tempted to put my own needs before others grant me the grace to look to You and learn from You for You are gentle and humble of heart.

Keep me always in the shadow of Your Presence and grant that I may always permit the Holy Spirit to guide all my words, thoughts, and actions.

Luke 14:25-33

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Sometimes the words You chose when You spoke can be startling. It seems pretty harsh when You say, 

"If anyone comes to me without hating his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters,
and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me
cannot be my disciple."

But what exactly do these words mean for me. It means that noble as it is and the right thing to do to love our parents, siblings, spouse, and children we cannot place this love above the love and honor that is due to God and Him alone.

In this world we tend to allow our emotions and feelings to dictate how we act and more often than not we will be wrong. Feelings and emotions are not permanent. However, a decision to love is. To love without conditions, without counting the cost, to love as You did, laying down Your life for us. Very few of us are able to love if it means sacrificing something that we desire ourselves. We are basically selfish. This is why You remind us that true love is demanding and can cost us everything even our lives.

As long as our hearts and our hands are full with our own selfish needs and desires we cannot truly be your disciples.

Teach me Beloved to love as You do. It will be a struggle every step of the way but with Your help it is possible for nothing will be impossible for those who trust You.

No comments:

Post a Comment