Sunday, October 29, 2017

Exodus 22:20-26, Psalm 18:2-4, 47, 51, 1 Thessalonians 1:5C-10, Matthew 22:34-40

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Whoever loves me will keep my word, says the Lord,
and my Father will love him and we will come to him. Jn 14:23


Exodus 22:20-26, Psalm 18:2-4, 47, 51, 
1 Thessalonians 1:5C-10, Matthew 22:34-40

Exodus 22:20-26

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

You are a God of mercy, kindness and tender compassion and You require that we imitate You. We are called to show kindness to the widow, the orphan, those who are strangers among us. We are called to be welcoming. We are called to give of ourselves rather than of what we have. It is often so much easier to give people things and get rid of them than to sit and listen attentively and with compassion.

We are called to give without interest, for we are not moneylenders but brothers and sisters, children of the same Father. If we are less than honest, loving, giving, and compassionate with those less fortunate than ourselves, those who are hurting, God who is their Father and our Father will call on us for an answer for we are our brother's and sister's keeper.

Psalm 18:2-4, 47, 51

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

I sing Your praises along with the psalmist and I declare that I love You for You are my Lord, my God, my strength, my fortress, my deliverer. All that I am and have comes from You.

You have saved me and have claimed me for Yourself. I desire to all Yours and Yours alone. Help me to give my whole being to You without question and without counting the cost. I am a weak, foolish creature and I need Your help every moment of every day in order.

I thank You Beloved, that You who are God claim me, as Your sister, Your friend. I thank You for keeping a loving, and watchful eye over me and for keeping me safe and in Your sight always.

1 Thessalonians 1:5C-10

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

I thank You for leading me slowly but surely and steadily to follow You and imitate You. I thank You for Your Church and for the many witnesses who reveal to me all that is required of one who is grafted into Your Body. To the Church and to me as a member of that Church You have entrusted the Word that brings life, hope, joy, peace, and salvation. I thank You for using me in very small ways to bring about Your Kingdom and Your rule on earth. I thank You for calling me by name and giving me a mission. Thank You for grace made available to me through the frequent reception of the Sacraments of Reconciliation and the Holy Eucharist that enable me to begin anew each day with fresh vigor and enthusiasm. Thank You for delivering me and for setting me on the path that leads to life.

Matthew 22:34-40

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

As long as we are in the world, those of the world will relentlessly come after us in order to bring us down just as the Pharisees and the Sadducees did. They were afraid of You and for Your ability not only to undermine their authority among the masses but they knew that they were no match for You when it came to discussions on Scripture and the Law. They tried to set traps for You but You always got the better of them and instead of admiring You, they only got more and  more furious and more determined than every to bring You down.

We see another instance when the Sadducees come to You and ask You a question to which they know the answer. 

"Teacher, which commandment in the law is the greatest?" 
He said to him,
"You shall love the Lord, your God,
with all your heart,
with all your soul,
and with all your mind.
This is the greatest and the first commandment.
The second is like it:
You shall love your neighbor as yourself. 
The whole law and the prophets depend on these two commandments."

No comments:

Post a Comment