Sunday, May 14, 2017

Acts 6:1-7, Psalm 33:1-2, 4-5, 18-19, 1 Peter 2:4-9, John 14:1-12

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I am the way, the truth and the life, says the Lord;
no one comes to the Father, except through me. Jn 14:6


Acts 6:1-7, Psalm 33:1-2, 4-5, 18-19, 1 Peter 2:4-9, John 14:1-12

Acts 6:1-7

Dear Love,

Today we are reminded that human nature is weak and prone to complain and there is only so much we can do alone. We are called to work together, to have a strong community spirit, to listen and to act in accordance with the will of God.

The Apostles recognized that their main ministry was to break the Word of God. The asked the community to select people filled with the Spirit and wisdom and appoint them to take on the task of serving. Of the seven that were chosen one stood out, Stephen, and of him it is written that he was a man filled with faith and the Holy Spirit. These qualities are essential in those who have been chosen to serve.

We need to pray for our priests and deacons, and all who serve the Church in one way or another so the faith of all is strengthened and our witness draws many to come to know You, to believe in You and be saved.

Psalm 33:1-2, 4-5, 18-19

Dear Love,

The psalmist reminds me today that I must praise You always, have a grateful heart and always to be mindful of the many blessings You have poured upon me always. The earth is full of Your goodness and therefore praise of You must be constant. Thank You for Your Word which is trustworthy and which teaches me how to be pleasing to You. Thank You for reminding me that Your gaze is riveted towards me always and that I can always be sure of Your loving kindness. Death does not have the last word for You have won the victory for me. Thank You for the Bread of Life in the Eucharist that nourishes and sustains me. Give me a grateful heart and may I never cease to praise You.

1 Peter 2:4-9

Dear Love,

Peter, our first Pope reminds us today that we who are baptized into Your Body are "a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people of his own, so that you may announce the praises" of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. Thank You for seeking me, finding me, and making of me a living stone who together with other living stones are being built into the house of God, where He dwells in fullness. 

To all who believe, to all who hear and answer Your call belong to the household of God. Here we offer to the Father the most pleasing sacrifices as we offer Him the Sacrifice of Calvary that won for us our freedom from slavery to sin which leads to eternal death. 

I believe, dear Love and I pray this day for all who find You a stumbling block or a rock that will make them fall for they refuse to believe that God so loved us that He sent You into the world so we may no longer walk in darkness but in Your own marvelous light. May the whole world come to the knowledge of the Truth for You alone can set us free.

John 14:1-12

Dear Love,

It is impossible to truly know You and not fall passionately in love with You. Who but You can love so tenderly, speak such wonderful words of encouragement, and fill us with confidence and courage. You understand our fears, You know our weaknesses. Mine are legion Love. Yet, You say to me today, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. You have faith in God; have faith also in me."  You assure me of a place in Your Father House, Your House where You have prepared a place for me. You also assure me that You will return to take me to Yourself so where You are I too may be. What wonderful hope is mine!

There are many sentences in the Gospel that are really heartbreaking. I believe this is one of them when You responded to Philip's request,"Master, show us the Father, and that will be enough for us." And You with a grave, sad look said to him, "Have I been with you for so long a time and you still do not know me, Philip?"

We have no excuse not to know You Love. We have 2000 years of salvation history, we have the Church, we have Your Word and we have the Living Tradition that convincingly reveals that You and Your Father are One. You continue to work powerfully in the world and You assure all who believe in You that they will not only do the works that You do but even greater ones because You go the Father and there will intercede for us tirelessly until we too are one with You, the Father and the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment