Friday, April 28, 2017

Acts 5:34-42, Psalm 27:1, 4, 13-14, John 6:1-15

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

One does not live on bread alone,
but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God. Mt 4:4b



Acts 5:34-42, Psalm 27:1, 4, 13-14, John 6:1-15

Acts 5:34-42

My soul's beloved, there are not many who like Gamaliel, who belonged to the upper class in power and was prepared to stand up to defend those whom the authorities wanted to destroy, urging them to use wisdom and caution.  Prudence and caution in things we do not understand is far better than using force and violence for in doing so we may be fighting against Your will. Gamaliel was convincing and one would hope that the apostles would be set free without being persecuted any further. But the Sanhedrin had them flogged before they let them go hoping that it would deter them from preaching and teaching the Good News of Your Resurrection.

It did not have the effect that they had hope because we are told that the disciples left the presence of the Sanhedrin rejoicing because they had been worthy to suffer for the sake of Your Name and they continued to preach with boldness and with power so many came to know and believe and were saved.

Grant O Lord my God, that I too may have courage to stand up for the faith and to speak boldly without fear of the consequences.  

Psalm 27:1, 4, 13-14

My soul's beloved, the psalmist speaks of hope, faith, and the final, eternal reward. Yes, Lord, You are my light, my salvation, You are my Redeemer and I need fear nothing for I walk in Your Shadow. You grant me refuge in Your Sacred Heart. You invite me to make You my dwelling place. You come to me in the Holy Eucharist and there I hold You close to me, heart to heart, soul in soul and I am permitted to hold eternity within this finite, sinful body. You are more than generous with Your blessings, You lavish me with grace even though I am unworthy and You kindle in me a desire of longing for this time of intimacy with You in the Holy Eucharist.

John 6:1-15

Not all the wealth of the world, not all its resources, have the power to satisfy us for we were made by God for You and for You only. We have a need in our souls for what only You can provide and we are satisfied only if we come to You and eat and drink of the bounty that only You can give. All the world offers will ultimately turn to ashes in our mouth leaving us emptier than ever. 

When You saw the crowds that were coming to You to be healed in every way You turned to those who were closest to You and asked them to satisfy the hunger of the people, but they had not yet grasped who You were, all they could see was their lack because they had not raised their eyes to You in expectant faith. Each of us who has encountered You, is grafted to You, is called to satisfy the needs of those who come to us for You have given us Your own power to do all that You have done. You take our five loaves and two fish and with it You are able to satisfy the multitudes over and over again for in You there is always enough and more to satisfy every need, every hunger, and every longing of the human heart. Not only were the crowds fed, but there were 12 baskets of leftovers. With God, His mercies never come to an end.


No comments:

Post a Comment