Monday, February 20, 2017

Sirach 1:1-10, Psalm 93:1-2, 5, Mark 9:14-29

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


Our Savior Jesus Christ has destroyed death
and brought life to light through the Gospel. 2Tm 1:10




Sirach 1:1-10, Psalm 93:1-2, 5, Mark 9:14-29

Sirach 1:1-10

My soul's beloved, God lavishes His gift of wisdom to His friends. Who  are the friends of God? They who discern His will in all things and do it. You said to Your disciples, "No longer do I call you servants, I call you friends because I have made known to You everything that I learned from My Father." This is the wisdom of God that is granted to all whom You acknowledge as friends. If I lack wisdom my most beloved, it is because I have not always been ready to give up my will to embrace Yours. It is because although I am aware of all that Your Father has revealed to You, I am not yet prepared to give up all the little, comfortable habits of self indulgence that are necessary in order to exercise the discipline necessary to purify myself.  I am like the rich young man who went away sad because he had great temporal wealth. I have no wealth beloved but I have too many weaknesses that I find unable to give up because I lack the will to do so despite knowing the many gifts that will be lavished on me if I choose to do so. 

Wisdom makes her home in the Trinity and flows from her to all whom God chooses to give her. I am a fool for although I am aware of all that You desire to give me I am too attached to my creature comforts. Unless You reach out and do for me what I am unable to do for myself I shall never fully possess this divine gift that flows from the bosom of God.

Psalm 93:1-2, 5

My soul's beloved, we are on the threshold of Lent. We are given another opportunity to align our lives to that of God. We are given an opportunity to sift through our life and get rid of the chaff that has accumulated so that divine grace may be granted to us and divine light may once again illumine our life.

You are the Lord, the King, robed in majesty and splendor - God has put all things under Your Lordship and control. To You has been given all power, all rule, all dominion, all authority for You have destroyed death forever. We have hope because You have obtained it for us. Help us Lord, we have no other help but the help that comes from You.

Mark 9:14-29

My soul's beloved, today You teach me that all sin and all attachment to sin can be overcome through  prayer. The father of the boy possessed with an evil spirit begs you, "But if you can do anything, have compassion on us and help us." And You responded with this wonderful promise that encourages us, "'If you can!' Everything is possible to one who has faith." I cry out along with the boy's father, "I do believe, help my unbelief!"

Help me Lord this Lent to desire all that You desire for me so I may truly be the person that God created me to be, Lord Jesus, in Your tender compassion hear and answer me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment