Sunday, February 5, 2017

Isaiah 58:7-10, Psalm 112:4-9, 1 Corinthians 2:1-5, Matthew 5:13-16

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I am the light of the world, says the Lord;
whoever follows me will have the light of life. Jn 8:12



Isaiah 58:7-10, Psalm 112:4-9, 1 Corinthians 2:1-5, Matthew 5:13-16


Isaiah 58:7-10

My soul's beloved, I am called to be my brothers and sisters' keeper. We all belong to the family of God our Father and their pain and distress my be my own for it is Your as well. You chose to have us grafted to You and when one member of Your body is sick then the rest of the members are affected as well. Give me a loving, kind, sensitive, empathetic spirit. May I have the sensitivity to see another's need and to respond to it as You desire me to. Help me never to look for what there is in it for me, rather let my motive always be love. May my love for You be the catalyst that moves me to act. You have blessed me abundantly and it is Your ardent desire that I share this abundance with those who are in want. This is my mission and purpose in life - help me not to fail to love everyone I encounter for Your sake.
and the gloom shall become for you like midday.


Psalm 112:4-9

My soul's beloved, You desire that I walk in the light and in order to ensure that I do I am called to lead a holy and upright life. I am called to be gracious and merciful just as You are. I am called to give generously for I have received more than generously from You. I am called to be just in my thoughts, words, and my deed. If I imitate You and walk in Your light then no evil shall touch me. I shall be be free from anxiety and fear for all my hope and my trust is in You alone. Keep me just as You have promised as the apple of Your eye.

1 Corinthians 2:1-5

My soul's beloved, by his example, St. Paul gives us a great lesson on how we are to proclaim and witness to the Good News. We are not to rely on ourselves, on our wisdom or lack of it, our ability to speak profoundly or not, all we need to have is a burning desire to proclaim the love of God that was prepared to go to the Cross. To drink of our miserable sinful existence to its very dregs in order that we may taste of the sweetness of God. 

We must come as we are, with all our weaknesses, and we must trust that the Holy Spirit will give us the necessary words to speak with power. The message is all that matters. If we are convinced that the sincerity of our words will shine through and our faith will be enough to touch the hearts of those who hear us - that's all You ask of us the rest is up to You. We must just allow ourselves to be the instruments of the Holy Spirit - ready, willing, obedient, and humble.

Matthew 5:13-16

My soul's beloved, as Your words in the Gospel today reminds us, everything is grace and everything is a gift. If You call me to be salt and light in the world it is because You have made me salt and light. You do no ask me to be that which I am not - that would be impossible. But I am salt and I am light and I am called to flavor the world and even if my light is no brighter than a wick that flickers, by its light someone will be able to put at least one foot forward and then the next making slow but steady progress to the Kingdom of God by its little light. Sin, repeated sin, grave sin can cause me to lose the taste of salt given to me and my light will go out. Keep me from falling into temptation, deliver me from evil, keep me always close to You, sheltered under Your wing where no evil can approach me. 

You have granted me Your light may I not be afraid to set it high up so all can see and glorify You as they come to the knowledge of truth. Use me Lord just as You will even though I am an insignificant little nothing, use my nothingness to glorify You.

No comments:

Post a Comment