Friday, July 1, 2016

Amos 8:4-6, 9-12, Psalm 119:2, 10, 20, 30, 40, 131, Matthew 9:9-13

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Amos 8:4-6, 9-12, Psalm 119:2, 10, 20, 30, 40, 131, Matthew 9:9-13


Amos 8:4-6, 9-12

 My soul's beloved, this may well be a prophecy for our day and age. We live in a world of rapacious greed for money, position and power and we do not care who we trample on our way to gain these ephemeral things. All the world cares about today is self indulgence no matter how opposed it is to both divine and natural law. The greater our sins the greater our lack o wisdom in perceiving that our aberrations so often arise from the sins of those who were our prime guardians and caregivers, failed us miserably. Sin begets sin and so it goes on an on in a hideous cycle as one generation gives rise to the next who are even more insensate to all that is good, holy, pure and beautiful if it goes against their own selfish desires. The poor get poorer. The migrant is turned into something less than human with a soul for the sake of profit. The most helpless life in the womb of its mother is not safe from the greed and selfishness of one whom God entrusted with His child. 

How can these words of the prophet not apply to us? Commerce and profits are the measure by which value of human life is determined. We waste the most precious of our basic commodities while our brothers and sisters whose skin stick to their skeletal frames and we lack the decency to feel ashamed. 

Verse 9 to 12 spells us clearly what we can expect if we do not heed Your Word received through the mouth of Your prophets. May the Lord have mercy on us all.

Psalm 119:2, 10, 20, 30, 40, 131

My soul's delight, may the prayer of Your Church this day be heard and may we return to You with all our hearts.

Blessed are they who observe his decrees,
who seek him with all their heart.
 
With all my heart I seek you;
let me not stray from your commands.

My soul is consumed with longing
for your ordinances at all times.

The way of truth I have chosen;
I have set your ordinances before me.

Behold, I long for your precepts;
in your justice give me life.

I gasp with open mouth
in my yearning for your commands.


Matthew 9:9-13

My soul's beloved, than You for the comfort of today Gospel passage. Yes, You came for the sick, the weak, the lost, the forgotten. God never takes His gaze away from His children so there is always hope. 

Matthew was seen as a public sinner but You saw a potential saint. We do not trouble ourselves to look beyond the surface and so we may rash judgments and we condemn people unfairly. Thank You for eating with sinners and tax collectors - You do so because You want everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of Truth. Thank You for reminding the self righteous wherever they may be, including myself that it is the sick who need a doctor and I am called bear in mid always that I am as great a sinner as everyone else and no one needs my condemnation only my love.

Thank you my soul's beloved for all You have said to me today.



No comments:

Post a Comment