Tuesday, June 14, 2016

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

 1 Kings 21:17-29, Psalm 51:3-6, 11,16, Matthew 5:43-48

1 Kings 21:17-29

My soul's beloved, Ahab like David had sinned grievously they were both blinded by the lust to possess once lusted after another man's wife and the other lusted after another man's possession. So great was the desire to possess what was not theirs that they would stop at nothing to get what they desired. However, when their sins were revealed to them they both acknowledged their sins and repented. Both humbled themselves before God and begged to be forgiven and You relented and forgave their grave sins.

So it is with us my Lord. You have given us the beautiful Sacrament of Reconciliation where having confessed our sins, repented and resolved with Your help to sin no more You forgive completely and You remember our sins no more but flood our soul with grace and joy at being restored once more into the family of God.

Psalm 51:3-6, 11,16

 My soul's beloved, it is because of Your great love that we experience Your tender mercy and compassion when we are truly sorry for our sins. You wash away our iniquity and we are clean once again. You make it possible through grace to resist temptation and strive not to sin again. Help me never to hide my sins from You and no matter how gravely I have offended You help me never to lose a childlike confidence in the power of Your tender compassion. You know me. You know how frail I am. You know how easily I am tempted and how often I make no resistance but easily give in to temptation. Once I come to You with a contrite heart You lot away my offenses and turn Your Face away from my sins. Thank You for delivering me and setting me free from the snares set out for me. Thank You for Your Blood that saves me.

Matthew 5:43-48

My soul's beloved, once again You remind me in the strongest words possible that there is not middle ground to salvation. You have done the great work and paid the price for my redemption however I have to reach out and accept it and with Your help I have to work out my salvation with fear and trembling. 

No longer do I follow the culture of the day, the world preaches selfishness, self gratification, self absorption. The world encourages us to take revenge, to retaliate, to repay hate for hate and blow for blow. To extract vengeance at the first opportunity that presents itself and thus world remains divided and the devil rejoices as we separate ourselves from our brothers and sisters and enclose ourselves in walls that isolate us and eventually crush us.

You show us another way, a more perfect and glorious way, a way that You Yourself have taken and triumphed gloriously. 

"You have heard that it was said: Love your neighbor and do not do good to your enemy. 44 But this I tell you: Love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be children of your Father in Heaven. 
For your part you shall be righteous and perfect in the way your heavenly Father is righteous and perfect."


You desire that we imitate the Father and to be holy, righteous and perfect in the way that You are. You would not ask this of us were it impossible to do so and while it is true that we could not attain this perfection on our own You grant us all the graces necessary to strive every moment of every day, to do so. It is the striving after perfection and winning small battles over ourselves each day that we will grow and become a little more like You each day.



No comments:

Post a Comment