Sunday, June 5, 2016

1Kings 17:17-24, Psalm 30:2, 4-6, 11-13, Galatians 1:11-14a, 15ac, 16a, 17, 19, Luke 7:11-17

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

1Kings 17:17-24, Psalm 30:2, 4-6, 11-13, Galatians 1:11-14a, 15ac, 16a, 17, 19, 
Luke 7:11-17

1Kings 17:17-24

My soul’s beloved, here we see the first raising to life miracle in answer to the prayer of pleading by the prophet Elijah.  The widow was kind to him and she had just one son Elijah prayed to God and put his case before Him. God heard his prayer and returned breath back to the boy and the prophet restored the living child to his mother and her faith in God grew. Thank You my soul’s beloved for all the times when You have given me new life in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Thank You for increasing my faith in all the marvelous ways I experience You in my life.

Psalm 30:2, 4-6, 11-13

For his anger lasts but a moment;
a lifetime, his good will.
At nightfall, weeping enters in,
but with the dawn, rejoicing.
O LORD, be my helper.
You changed my mourning into dancing;
O LORD, my God, forever will I give you thanks.

Galatians 1:11-14a, 15ac, 16a, 17

God, who from my mother’s womb had set me apart
was pleased to reveal his Son to me,

My soul’s beloved just as Paul is aware that God had chosen him from the time he was conceived in his mother’s womb to fulfill his plan so are we all chosen, called, appointed and sent. I have a mission to carry out it is not as grand as St Paul’s was but it is necessary nevertheless for what I have been appointed to do no one else can. This is the purpose for which I was created. To know God and to make Him known. Grant me all the graces, gifts and blessing I need to do it promptly, joyfully and faithfully for as long as I am alive on earth.

Luke 7:11-17

My soul’s beloved, there is no death so painful, so grief filled and so heart breaking that nothing will ever erase not even time than the death of a child. In today’s Gospel St. Luke describes the miracle that You performed when You raised to life the only son of a widow from Nain. She was not only his mother’s only child she was also a widow. She must have been well loved and this is why a large crowd accompanied her to bury him. You saw her and the tender and compassion of God was moved to pity. Perhaps You foresaw Your own Mama’s agonizing grief when You would be taken from her and put to death. You said to the woman, “Do not weep.”  You stepped forward and the men halted. You then commanded the man to rise. The dead man sat up and began to speak and You gave the mother her son.

These astounding miracles of raising the dead to life ought to have convinced everyone especially the Pharisees and the chief priests that You were, as You said, the Son of God. While the people were momentarily impressed and exclaimed that a great prophet was in the midst. They all went back to their old way of life without experiencing a true conversion of heart and becoming Your disciples.

We are no better my Lord. In time, after the initial joy we too take all the great and little miracles in our lives with a ho-hum attitude.  Forgive me my Lord and help me to be more appreciative all the wonderful things You do for me everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment