Monday, December 16, 2013

Numbers 24:2-7, 15-17a, Psalm 25:4-9, Matthew 21:23-27

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Numbers 24:2-7, 15-17a, Psalm 25:4-9, Matthew 21:23-27


Numbers 24:2-7, 15-17a

My Beloved, from the moment man sinned God ordained that You would come into the world to save us.  He did not desire that the work of His hands should be lost forever, but raised up for us a Savior, who although He was God, walked among us as a Man.  You were like us in all things save sin.  

Light always announces the coming of God.  From the utter darkness of sin God sends You to be a Light among the nations.  A beacon of hope that draws and invites sinners to come home.

Thank You my Lord and my God for saving me. 

Psalm 25:4-9

My Beloved, my besetting sin is a distinct lack of humility in some situations which causes me to stumble and fall headlong into the dangerous waters of pride.

Humility, that priceless virtue, is most pleasing to God.  He Himself stoops over His creatures in love and is not ashamed to pursue sinners and plead lovingly that they return home.  He was not above asking You, who are not only His only Son but God as well, to become a Man in order to save us.  The Holy Spirit is a Spirit of gentleness who never forces Himself on anyone but waits in patient humility to be invited.

Teach me Your ways O Lord and let me walk in the  paths You desire I should go.  Guide me my Savior.  Keep me close beside You and never let me stray from Your side.  I know I am weak and I sin all the time.  In Your tender compassion forgive my offenses and grant me the grace I need to overcome my weaknesses.  Be my Teacher, Friend, Lord, Master and Guide. 

Matthew 21:23-27

My Beloved, we claim ignorance even when we know the truth either to get out of a sticky situation or in order not to commit ourselves unequivocally on the side of Truth.

The entire hierarchy of the Jewish religious body came en masse to intimidate You with questions.  Their authority came from God in order to serve the people,.  But You are the Author of Divine Law and all authority is given to You by the Father.  You were willing to engage with them and answer their questions, provided there were honest.  However their motives were anything but honest and You were quite aware of this fact.  They ducked the question with that great answer that we use to deny responsibility for our actions, "I do not know."

God does not play our silly games.  We have to take a stand for what we know to be the truth if not, we stand a very good chance of damning ourselves eternally.

Jesus meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.




No comments:

Post a Comment