Friday, February 15, 2013

Isaiah 58:1-9a, Psalm 51:3-6ab, 18-19, Matthew 9:14-15

3rd Day in Lent
Enter into the inner sanctuary of your soul and there meet Me Your Sovereign Lord. Place your hands in Mine and let My Spirit fill you to overlowing.
1 Samuel 17:47 
The battle is Mine because you belong to Me.  All you need to do is is show up ready and willing to follow my commands.  I will provide you with all you need. The battle and the victory belong to Me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS:


Isaiah 58:1-9a, Psalm 51:3-6ab, 18-19, Matthew 9:14-15


Isaiah 58:1-9a

My Beloved, Holy Mother Church has given us this wonderful season of Lent for prayer, reflection, silence in order to gird ourselves with the spiritual armor that will enable us fight victoriously against the enemy.

You speak very clearly thorugh the prophet and make known to us the kind of fasting that is pleasing to You.  Inspired by the Holy Spirit, he says everything that You too will say when You come in the fullness of time. When the people hear You it will not be new for they have heard it said before by the prophet Isaiah and yet they were so angry when You showed them up for their hypocrisy in observing the letter of the law while forgetting its spirit completely.

You desire that we show kindness, mercy and generosity to those who suffer and are less fortunate than we are.  This is the kind of fast that pleases You and when we call, You will hasten and answer us.

Psalm 51:3-6ab, 18-19

My Beloved, lift up Your poor little nothing and let me enter Your heart through the wound in Your pierced side.  Once there wash me clan, heal my wounds, forgive my sins and make me whole.  Robe in in the garment of humility and grant me the virtues I need to make me pleasing to You.  Take my contrite heart and broken spirit my own true God and restore me once more in Your love.

Matthew 9:14-15

My Beloved it is not the number of fasts that make us acceptable in Your sight but the disposition of our hearts.  Fasting for fasting sake can make me prideful if I believe that it has merit of itself.  The purpose of fasting is to discipline my body in order to alert my spirit to Your Holy Spirit, to help me have empathy for those who fast because they have nothing to eat or because they are sick or because food and drink are deliberately withheld from them.

There is a time to fast and there is a way of fasting. The kind of fast pleasing to You is the kind that will help to increase my faith, hope and love for you and my neighbour

No comments:

Post a Comment