Wednesday, September 19, 2012

1 Corinthians 12:31---13:13, Psalm 33:2-5, 12 & 22, Luke 7:31-35


DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS:



My Beloved, those who know You, those who have heard Your call and have left everything behind to follow You because everything else is meaningless discovered true joy.  Your love is perfect and You teach us to love like You.  Once we begin to allow Your love to direct every area of our life then living becomes a great adventure.  To love as You love my Lord gives meaning to everything.  With love all things are possible. 
   
 Verses 1-3 describes what life is like in the absence of love:
If I could speak all the human and angelic ton­­gues, but had no love, I would only be sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. If I had the gift of prophecy, knowing secret things with all kinds of knowledge, and had faith great enough to remove mountains, but had no love, I would be nothing. If I gave ev­erything I had to the poor, and even give up my body to be burned, if I am without love, it would be of no value to me.

Those whom You have blessed with special gifts including the gift of leadership must remember that they will be more effective and certainly more pleasing to You if they remembered that all their good works are filthy rags before You if their motive is not love and love alone.

St. Paul, inspired by the genius and wisdom of the Holy Spirit has written the most beautiful and though provoking and perfect definition of love.  St. John the evangelist, inspired by this same Spirit wrote, “God is love and he who lives in God lives in love.”  If I live in God then I will allow God to love in me and through me.  I will be a His blessing that touches the lives of those around me. 

To be boastful, or arrogant because of the gifts one is gives is pathetic because it reveals ignorance of the fact that every good and perfect gift comes from God.  The greatest gift of all – the Gift of gifts is Love and when we fail to love God and neighbor as we ought to then we fail to live as God has intended us to live and we become sour, sickly, spoilt, cantankerous, fault finding, jealous, friendless and a general pain in the derriere. 

Psalm 33:2-5, 12 & 22

God has made a new covenant through His Son.  Those who believe in Him and are baptized are grafted on to Him.  He makes us children of God and co-heirs to the Kingdom.


My Beloved, 2000 years and more have passed since You pierced time and entered as a Man into humanity but we still don’t get it.  God became Man and His sole motive in doing so was love.  You were rejected then and You continue to be rejected now.  In the long course of her history the Church, beginning with the Apostles, Fathers and Doctors of Holy Mother Church, and with the aid of the Holy Spirit, have pondered on the mustard seed of Your Word,  long and lovingly, they lived it, nurtured it, pondered on it ceaselessly and watched it grow.  The Church has carefully safeguarded in her treasury all that she has received from You directly and through Apostolic Tradition.   She continues her mission tirelessly in helping all to discover the pearl of great price  and the treasure in the field.  Few are interested though because we live are too self-absorbed and care little about entering into the divine relationship You so generously offer us with Yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment