Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Numbers 12:1-13, Matthew 15:1-2, 10-14, Psalm 51:3-7, 12-13

Daily Mass Readings:  Numbers 12:1-13, Matthew 15:1-2, 10-14, 
                                      Psalm 51:3-7, 12-13

Numbers 12:3

Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than any man on the face of the earth. 
13 Then Moses cried to the Lord, “Heal her, O God, I beg of you.”

My Beloved there is no virtue as pleasing to You as the virtue of humility  yet it is a bitter herb especially when one has been proud and self-righteous.  It is to the little one that You reveal Yourself.  Aaron and Miriam dared to criticize their brother, the prophet chosen by You.  Were they jealous of his relationship with You?  
How have I offended You my Lord?  How can I dare to say that I have not sinned?  I do not make any excuses for myself other than the excuse that I am foolish.  I throw myself at Your feet and I beg You to overlook my folly and forgive me.    I cannot bear to be separated from You my Lord.  Hear my cry and heal me I beg of You.

Matthew 15:1-2, 10-14

Then some Pharisees and teachers of the Law who had come from Jerusalem gathered around Jesus. And they said to him, “Why don’t your disciples follow the tradition of the elders? In fact, they don’t wash their hands before eating.”   10 Jesus then called the people near him and said to them, “Listen and understand: 11 what enters into the mouth does not make a person unclean, what defiles one is what comes out of his mouth.”
 12 After a while the disciples gathered around Jesus and said, “Do you know that the Pharisees were offended by what you said?” 13 Jesus answered, “Every plant which my heavenly Father has not planted shall be uprooted. 14 Pay no attention to them! They are blind leading the blind. When a blind person leads another, the two will fall into a pit.”

My Lord often our eyes are wide open to nit pick the little flaws of others while we remain totally blind to our faults.  Forgive me Beloved for the many times I have gone digging, poking and raking everyone else's  faults and turning them ruminatively over my mind, instead of spending that time in examining my own conscience and rooting out my own weaknesses.

Psalm 51:3-7, 12-13
Have mercy on me, O God, in your love.
In your great compassion blot out my sin.
Wash me thoroughly of my guilt;
cleanse me of evil.
For I acknowledge my wrongdoings
and have my sins ever in mind.
Against you alone have I sinned;
what is evil in your sight I have done.
You are right when you pass sentence
and blameless in your judgment.
12 Create in me, O God, a pure heart;
give me a new and steadfast spirit.
13 Do not cast me out of your presence
nor take your holy spirit from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment