Saturday, August 27, 2011

Matthew 4:20, 22, 1 Thessalonians 4:9-11, Matthew 25:14:30, Psalm 98:1, 7-9

Daily Meditation:  Matthew 4:20, 22

Matthew 4:20, 22,

20 At once they left their nets and followed him.
22 At once they left the boat and their father and followed him.

Beloved , Peter Andrew, James and John responded without hesitation to Your invitation .  They left behind, without a backward glance all that was familiar and followed You into what would be the most exciting adventures of all time filled with great joy.  They would walk, talk, touch and live with God although they did not know it then, though their spirits must have sensed they were in the presence of the Divine.  I know the whole story and I also know what it means to says 'yes.'  I have known so many saints in history who have made this exciting  and most rewarding journey with You. But I am a sinner, my yes is weak, hesitant and there is a of back sliding.  How I long to follow You as boldly and completely as so many countless saints have done through the ages and even in our time.  Grant me Lord the grace I need and stay with me.  Unless I hold on to Your hand and cling to You, I shall not be able to make this journey through life and to eternity in a manner that is pleasing to You.
 
Daily Mass Readings:  1 Thessalonians 4:9-11, Matthew 25:14:30, 
                                       Psalm 98:1, 7-9

1 Thessalonians 4:9-11

In the above verses we read, "God Himself taught you how to love one another.  But I invite you to do more."

God Himself is our Teacher and His Spirit is our Spiritual Guide. Teach me how to be humble and open to the working of Your Holy Spirit in me.

Matthew 25:14:30

19 After a long time, the master of those servants returned and asked for a reckoning. 

24‘Master, I know that you are an exacting man. You reap what you have not sown and gather what you have not invested.  25 I was afraid, so I hid your money in the ground. Here, take what is yours.’

The servant who received one talent was hard hearted and cynical and did not know his Master at all.  He represents the many Christians who are absolutely indifferent to the faith and refuse to make even the slightest effort to know more about it.  They make absolutely no progress in their journey to eternity.  Baptized  and confirmed they either receive the Sacraments and make a mockery of holy and sacred things or they do not receive the Sacraments at all and throw Your gifts back to You saying, "Here take what is Yours," with complete indifference.  Eternity is a long time and there will be either darkness and weeping and gnashing of teeth or You will return to us in double measure that which we have received joyfully from You and with the help of the grace You so readily supply, have multiplied what You have given us.


No comments:

Post a Comment