Sunday, August 21, 2011

Isaiah 48:21, Isaiah 22:19-23, Romans 11:33-36, Matthew 16:13-20, Psalm 138:1-3, 6, 8

Daily Meditation:  Isaiah 48:21

Isaiah 48:21 

21 Those he led through the desert were never thirsty. He made water flow for them from the rock; he split the rock and water gushed out.

Beloved those You lead through the desert of suffering, sorrow and pain, will find in these sweet consolation when they unite all their difficulties with the perfect sacrifice You offered on Calvary.  You are the Rock and from You flows life giving water.  The Father permitted You to be struck for our sake and You were split open when the lance gashed Your side and from that open wound flowed blood and water.  The sacraments of Baptism and the Eucharist which quenches our thirst and satisfies our hunger.  

Daily Mass Readings:  Isaiah 22:19-23, Romans 11:33-36, 
                                       Matthew 16:13-20, Psalm 138:1-3, 6, 8

Isaiah 22:19-23

20 On that day I will summon
my servant Eliakim, son of Hilkiah.
21 I will clothe him with your robe,
I will strengthen him with your girdle,
I will give him your authority,
and he will be a father
to the inhabitants of Jerusalem
and to the people of Judah.
22 Upon his shoulder I will place
the key of the House of David:
what he opens, no one shall shut;
what he shuts, no one shall open.
23 I will fasten him like a peg
in a sure spot,
and he will be a seat of honor
in the house of his father.

The words of the Prophet foreshadow what Christ will say when He establishes the primacy of Peter.

Matthew 16:13-20

15 Jesus asked them, “But you, who do you say I am?” 16 Peter answered, “You are the Messiah, the Son of the living God.” 17 Jesus replied, “It is well for you, Simon Bar­jona, for it is not flesh or blood that has revealed this to you but my Father in heaven.
18 And now I say to you: You are Peter (or Rock) and on this rock I will build my Church; and never will the powers of death overcome it.
19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven: whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and what you unbind on earth shall be unbound in heaven.”

You have given Peter the authority to bind and loose and You ensure that heaven will consider bound and loosed that which he has authorized.  Such is the power You have given him and his successors.  It is a power that is not taken lightly and to which they have been faithful through the ages.

The Catholic Church lies safe and protected in Your exhilirating promise that hell, evil and death shall never prevail against Your Bride the Church.  Thank You.


Psalm 138:2-3, 6, 8
I bow down towards your holy temple
and give thanks to your name,
for your love and faithfulness,
for your word which exceeds everything.
You answered me when I called;
you restored my soul and made me strong.
From above, the Lord watches over the lowly;
from afar, he marks down the haughty.
How the Lord cares for me!
Your kindness, O Lord, endures forever.
Forsake not the work of your hands.



No comments:

Post a Comment