Saturday, February 5, 2011

1 Peter 4:8, Hebrews 13:1-8, Mark 6:14-29, Psalm 27:1, 3, 5, 8-9

1 Peter 4:8
 Above all let your love for one another be sincere, for love covers a multitude of sins.

My Beloved, thank You for this timely reminder.  It is so easy to say, "I love you," glibly, but if one is sincere in love then one does not nit pick, one sees the weaknesses and the reasons for them and one tries to understand, one is gentle, kind and forgiving.  Only a sincere love makes this possible.  Grant me O Lord, a sincere love for all my brothers and sisters in my life and in the world.

Hebrews 13:1-8

Here is an echo of the above verse, "Let mutual love continue."  If Christians truly loved one another as You love us, the Kingdom of God would already be with us.   We are reminded to have loving hearts and generous spirits, compassionate to those who suffer especially for the faith. To have trust in God not in money and to have confidence that God is our helper and will never fail us.

Mark 6:14-29

Today's Gospel shows us the chain re-action of sin.  Herodias got her daughter to lead Herod to commit murder and he, despite his misgivings allowed false pride and a desire for human respect to lead him to sin.  The enemy knows our weaknesses and he knows where to strike.  If we are not firmly rooted in Christ through the Sacraments we will hall and what a mighty fall it will be.

Psalm 27:1, 3, 5, 8-9
The Lord is my light and my salvation
– whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the rampart of my life;
I will not be afraid.
Though an army encamp against me,
my heart will not fail; 
though war break out against me,
 I will still be confident.
For he will keep me safe in his shelter
in times of misfortune;
he will hide me beneath his roof,
and set me high upon a rock.
My heart says to you,
“I seek your face, O Lord.”
Do not hide your face from me
nor turn away your servant in anger.
You are my protector, do not reject me
abandon me not, O God my savior!





No comments:

Post a Comment