Sunday, February 17, 2013

Deuteronomy 26:4-10, Romans 10:8-13, Psalm 91:1-2, 10-15, Luke 4:1-13


1st SUNDAY IN LENT

Do you remember the passionate longing of first love? If you took all that longing from the first to the last of every human being that ever lived it would equal to less than nothing when compared to my passionate longing for you all the time.

Exodus 20:6
I show steadfast love until the thousandth generation for those who love me and keep my commandments.
________________________________________________________

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Deuteronomy 26:4-10, Romans 10:8-13, Psalm 91:1-2, 10-15, Luke 4:1-13  


Deuteronomy 26:4-10

The first fruits of my life, my labour and love belong to You because You love me, because You destroy my enemies and save me, because You are my help and my refuge, because I have recourse to none but You and You alone are my defense. You will always answer when I call. Even before my cry has left my lips it will reach Your ear and You will hasten to my side. You have redeemed me from the jaws of everlasting death I am now Your possession in life and in death.
 
Romans 10:8-13

My Beloved, You are the Eternal Word of God and Scripture assures me that, "The Word of God is near me, on my lips and in my heart."  Closer to me than myself.  I am never alone, You my Beloved are always beside me.

The very first and most important step to salvation is confession Who and what we believe.  I must confess with my lips what I believe in my heart to be true - the Good News of my salvation.  But that my Beloved is only the first step - my act of faith, hope and love must be lived out day by day, moment by moment in all that I do and say, in all the choices I make.  In discerning what Your plans are for me and ensuring that I perform all the good works You have already planned for me to do during my lifetime. If I do not do it, You will find another - the work will be done but I would have lost the opportunity of working as Your laborer in Your field to bring in the harvest. 

Psalm 91:1-2, 10-15

1 You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High,
who rest in the shadow of the Almighty,
2 say to the Lord, “My stronghold,
my refuge, my God in whom I trust!”
10 no harm will come upon you,
no disaster will draw near your home.
11 For he will command his angels
to guard you in all your ways.
12 They will lift you up with their hands
so that your foot will not hit a stone.
13 You will tread on wildcats and snakes
and trample the lion and the dragon.
14 “Because they cling to me, I will rescue them,”
says the Lord.
“I will protect those who know my name.
15 When they call to me, I will answer;
in time of trouble I will be with them;
I will deliver and honor them.

Gracious and good God, my Beloved, You have confirmed all that Your Holy Spirit has inspired me to write earlier in the verses of this Psalm.  Thank You for affirming once more that the Holy Spirit is at work in all who love You even if that love is a poor thing like mine - a bruised reed. A flickering wick.

Luke 4:1-13 

My Beloved for 40 days You were tempted in the wilderness by Satan and it would have been a mighty batter that You waged against him.  It is not surprising then that You were were tempted in every way that we are tempted but did not sin, understand perfectly when we are tempted and when we overcome temptation with Your help, You rejoice at our triumph and You bless us and strengthen us.

There are legitimate pleasures we give up we give up in Lent in order to discipline our body, in doing so, it becomes easier to make the right choices when faced with make tough decisions.  Fasting defeats and thwarts the plans of the enemy.  

t the first sign of temptation may I run and hide in Your Sacred Heart and in the Heart of Mary my Mother and the devil will flee.  I am too weak to confront him on my own, I will succumb so I will flee to You my God and You will protect me from the wicked snares of the enemy and save me.

No comments:

Post a Comment