Friday, March 1, 2024

FRIDAY OF THE SECOND WEEK OF LENT - 2024

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

God loved the world so much that he gave his only Son:
everyone who believes in him has eternal life. JN 3:16


GENESIS 37:3-4,12-13,17-28 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

As we read these verses every human failing is clearly visible from the moment of the fall. Israel had eleven sons but his greater love for Joseph was so evident it wounded the rest. They envied and resented him so greatly that it roused a murderous rage. Joseph, in turn, lacked prudence. He knew he was his father's favorite, he was aware that his brothers hated him and yet he provoked greater rage in them by telling them about his dreams. These dreams did nothing to endear him to them for they clearly indicated that they would be ruled by him.

His father was clueless about how his sons felt about his preference and greater love for Joseph and he sent him out into the wilderness to look for them dressed in a special coat made exclusively for him. The brothers saw him in the distance grumbled about him and plotted to kill him. They first threw him in a well without water However, when they saw a group of Ishmaelite merchants passing by 

Putting thought into action they threw him in a dry well and when the Ishmaelites passed by they sold him for 20 pieces of silver. 

While it is easy to judge the brothers let us take a moment and reflect how often we allow envy to decide our decisions. Have we sold people we dislike or who we are jealous of, for momentary gain? 

You O Lord have blessed me with abundance and yet there are times when envy has colored my actions. Forgive me O Lord and pardon me and help me with the help of Your grace to love as You love always.

PSALM 104(105):16-21 ©

The Lord called down a famine on the land;
he broke the staff that supported them.
He had sent a man before them,
Joseph, sold as a slave.

His feet were put in chains,
his neck was bound with iron,
until what he said came to pass
and the word of the Lord proved him true.

Then the king sent and released him
the ruler of the people set him free,
making him master of his house
and ruler of all he possessed.

Remember the wonders the Lord has done.

MATTHEW 21:33-43,45-46 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

A guilty conscience makes us hyper-sensitive to criticism. The chief priests and the elders knew exactly who You were addressing when You told this parable. It is the elite and the power-hungry who will do everything possible to ensure the status quo where everything is tailored to their benefit. Hypocrites of the worst kind are those who sanctimoniously and piously hold themselves up as morally superior to everyone else and yet they are often the ones who are spiritually most bankrupt.

Finger-pointing is easy when we forget that our own actions are often suspect and cannot withstand scrutiny. 

Beloved, all too often I have pretended to be more righteous than I really am. I can be pretentious, sanctimonious, judgmental, ready to pick the speck in another's eye while ignoring the log in my own.

Thank You, Beloved, for laying down Your life for me. Thank You for dying in my place. Thank You for redeeming me and for making a way for me to enter Your Kingdom. Keep me ever mindful of how weak, frail, and sinful I am, to lean on You, and to pray for grace constantly.

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like Yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment