Tuesday, December 26, 2023

ST. STEPHEN, THE FIRST MARTYR - 2023

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord:
the Lord God is our light. PS 117:26, 27


ACTS 6:8-10,7:54-59 ©

The devil is relentless and tireless in his efforts to destroy all that is good, true, and beautiful because these are avenues to the heart of God. Stephen filled with the Holy Spirit was a good man who performed mighty signs and worked miracles in Your Name clearly indicating that the grace of God and the power of God were in him. Evil hates all that is good with murderous hate because it knows that they are powerless against that which is good for all that is good is true and all that is true is beautiful. Just as You were hounded and persecuted so too will Your disciples be just as You said and it was no different for the early Christians. 

We see fundamentalist bigots everywhere - their intent is not to appreciate the good but they see it as a direct attack against their narrowminded beliefs. They have no defense against signs and wonders that are clearly performed by the hand of God. Their only response is to strike, maim, destroy, crush, and kill and they do so with maniacal and satanic relish. Unable to get the better of Stephen in debate, 'because of his wisdom, and because it was the Spirit that prompted what he said. They were infuriated when they heard this, and ground their teeth at him.'

In our own world, we see how lies dominate the narrative of our present demonic culture. Truth is punished and silenced and depraved lies are celebrated in the highest echelons of power and many foolish people who because of their empty lives and abysmal ignorance buy into this evil rhetoric. Let us vow to be fearless like Stephen for when we stand firmly on the truth, we will be filled with the Holy Spirit like he was and we will be given words of wisdom with which to refute the liars and the enemies of truth. Truth can be silenced and suppressed for a while but it is timeless and can never be destroyed. Truth always rises stronger and brighter than ever before - 'Your Word O Lord is truth, consecrate us in the truth.'

PSALM 30(31):3-4,6,8,16-17 ©

Be a rock of refuge for me,
a mighty stronghold to save me,
for you are my rock, my stronghold.
For your name’s sake, lead me and guide me.

Into your hands I commend my spirit.
It is you who will redeem me, Lord.
As for me, I trust in the Lord:
let me be glad and rejoice in your love.

My life is in your hands, deliver me
from the hands of those who hate me.
Let your face shine on your servant.
Save me in your love.

Into your hands, O Lord, I commend my spirit.

MATTHEW 10:17-22 ©

The Spirit of your Father will be speaking in you

Jesus said to his disciples: ‘Beware of men: they will hand you over to sanhedrins and scourge you in their synagogues. You will be dragged before governors and kings for my sake, to bear witness before them and the pagans. But when they hand you over, do not worry about how to speak or what to say; what you are to say will be given to you when the time comes; because it is not you who will be speaking; the Spirit of your Father will be speaking in you.

‘Brother will betray brother to death, and the father his child; children will rise against their parents and have them put to death. You will be hated by all men on account of my name; but the man who stands firm to the end will be saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment