Wednesday, November 22, 2023

ST. CECILIA, VIRGIN & MARTYR, WEDNESDAY OF WEEK 33 IN ORDINARY TIME - 2023

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I chose you from the world
to go out and bear fruit,
fruit that will last,
says the Lord. JN 15:16


2 MACCABEES 7:1,20-31 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

The world is in dire need of mothers like this mother in today's first reading. A mother who would prefer that her children lay down their lives nobly rather than for the fleeting pleasures of this world. Children who would rather die than forsake God. Too many women have forgotten that they are entrusted with special gifts that enable them to shape, form, and nurture souls entrusted to them to greatness. When they fail in this sacred mission the world grows more cruel, selfish, and hostile to God and to neighbour.

A noble mother strong in her faith and a steadfast anchor in the lives of her children can strengthen their faith, increase their love, and help them to grow into men and women who will influence the lives of others and the world for good.  The faith of so many young people is so weak that as soon as they are on their own they are swept away by the immoral culture prevalent in the world today. The world is filled with mothers who are broken, and whose tears stream constantly knowing that their their children have strayed from the path of holiness that leads to the Kingdom of God. 

Hear the prayers of all mothers today Beloved and grant that children may receive the grace of conversion, and repentance and that they return to You with humble and contrite hearts. Have mercy O Lord for the sake of Your sorrowful passion, have mercy.

PSALM 16(17):1,5-6,8,15 ©

Lord, hear a cause that is just,
pay heed to my cry.
Turn your ear to my prayer:
no deceit is on my lips.

I kept my feet firmly in your paths;
there was no faltering in my steps.
I am here and I call, you will hear me, O God.
Turn your ear to me; hear my words.

Guard me as the apple of your eye.
Hide me in the shadow of your wings
As for me, in my justice I shall see your face
and be filled, when I awake, with the sight of your glory.

I shall be filled, when I awake, with the sight of your glory, O Lord.

LUKE 19:11-28 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

We have all been entrusted with the gift of faith which is not ours to keep but to be shared. Faith enables us to look at the future with hope. Faith teaches us that we can trust God who loved us into being, redeemed and sanctified us, and watches over us will never fail us, He has done so in the past and we can trust Him to do so in the future. Faith is the light that illumines the way especially when the night is dark. Faith in You, O Lord our God who emptied Yourself and laid down Your life for us so we may live, has also given us His Holy Spirit. Filled with the love of God and the power of the Holy Spirit we are more than conquerors. 

However, all that we have received is to be given away. We are to imitate You. The more we receive the more we are called to share of the gifts entrusted to us. The day of reckoning will arrive. Those of us who have hidden the talent or talents given to us will be called to account and will be punished. Those who have used their talents, like so many admirable priests, bishops, and lay people to draw many to the knowledge of the Truth revealed to us in You will receive a great reward.

Let us take a moment today to reflect on which category we come under. Time is brief. The time is now. Let us not waste it but put on Your full armor and fight the good fight.  

No comments:

Post a Comment