Friday, July 28, 2023

SAINT ALPHONSA MUTTATHUPADATHU, VIRGIN ON FRIDAY OF WEEK 16 IN ORDINARY TIME

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Blessed are those who,
with a noble and generous heart,
take the word of God to themselves
and yield a harvest through their perseverance. LK 8:15


EXODUS 20:1-17 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

The Decalogue is irksome to those who want to live their lives on their terms not on Yours. We do not belong to ourselves. We are baptized and grafted to Your Body what we do affects not only the Head but each of the members of this Body. The Ten Commandments are not just a good rule for our lives but they remind us that we are called to be a light and salt in this world. We can never give reign to the wanton, and sinful desires of the flesh. We cannot allow the world or the culture promoted by it to be the arbitrator of our lives. We have to be on guard against the wiles of the devil who is the great deceiver and constantly and insidiously tempts us just as Adam and Eve were tempted. 

We must keep the Commandments that You summarised into the two great commandments  -  “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and the first commandment. The second is like it: You shall love your neighbour as yourself” (Matthew 22:37-39).

Beloved, we were created by the Father, we have been redeemed by You, His Son, and we are sanctified by the Holy Spirit. We are no longer slaves to sin but we walk in the freedom that was won for us and the cost of Your life. As children of God, sin can no longer have dominion over us. 

We need to get rid of all the idols in our lives that hinder us from belonging wholly to You. By the power of Your Holy Spirit living in me, reveal to me those things that prevent me from giving my whole being to You.

Thank You for the Sacrament of Reconciliation that makes it possible for me to return to the Father's house each time I sin as well as the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharist that nourishes and strengthens me and provides all the graces I need to resist temptation and to remain united to You and the Church.

PSALM 18(19):8-11 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

You are the Eternal Word of the Father and this Word, this all-powerful Word has restored all that was lost by the sin of disobedience when our first parents pridefully sought to be like God.

Your law enables us to refrain from doing the things that are detrimental to our moral and spiritual lives. You created us for Yourself and when we disobey the Commandments, we separate ourselves from You and imperil our souls. 

Thank You, Lord, for summarizing the Decalogue to the two great commandments of Love. Genuine love makes it possible to refrain from doing anything that would wound and destroy our friendship with You and with our brothers and sisters. When we live holy and righteous lives we are happy, we are at peace with God and with each other. 

Thank You, Lord, for the Sacraments that provide all the graces and help we need to keep the Commandments.

MATTHEW 13:18-23 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

The way in which I receive the good seed of Your Word which You always sow generously determines whether or not it will yield a harvest. When I receive it carelessly, when I reject it, when I do not receive it graciously and gladly, I jeopardize the quality of my life. You said, 'Blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it.' 

Help me Lord to be open to receiving Your word every time so I can yield a harvest of good fruit that will last and that will benefit not just me but everyone I encounter on my journey from this life to the next. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment