Thursday, April 13, 2023

EASTER THURSDAY - 2023

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

This day was made by the Lord:
we rejoice and are glad. PS 117:24


LUKE 24:35-48 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

One can only imagine the excitement of the disciples as they rushed back with great joy from Emmaus to Jerusalem to share the Good News of Your resurrection with the others. What a difference there was in these men - they walked away from their mission disappointed and dejected because until then they were so caught up with the tragic and heartrending events that had taken place that they had not stopped to reflect on anything that You had said in the past concerning these events. They and the rest were slow to understand just as You had said.

The same goes for me too, Lord. I have not yet understood that is why I chafe, am uneasy, and become sad, restless, and sorrowful each time a cross is given to me. Every single time I am so fraught with grief that gloom suffocates my soul and my life, and I can scarcely breathe. I am overwhelmed with painful thoughts and I wallow in self-pity foolishly struggling and whining, "Why Lord?  How much longer, Lord? I allow my weakness, my attitude, and my cowardice to suck me into a vortex of depression.

And then You who love me more than I deserve, more than I can ever fathom, are present. You break through the gloom, You tear through the veil of my folly, You wipe my tears, and You say to me, so tenderly,  ‘Why are you so agitated, and why are these doubts rising in your hearts? Look at my hands and feet; yes, it is I indeed. Touch me and see for yourselves; a ghost has no flesh and bones as you can see I have.’

Patiently, all over again, for the umpteenth time, You explain why the cross is necessary, why suffering is necessary, why I need to die to myself over and over again in order that You can purify me. Suffering alone has the power to rid me of the dross that keeps me from becoming like You. 

You are the fulfillment of the Law of Moses and the Prophets, as well as the Psalms. Thank You for never tiring of opening my mind and my heart to understand the scriptures and to the power of the Cross. ‘So you see how it is written that the Christ would suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, and that, in his name, repentance for the forgiveness of sins would be preached to all the nations, beginning from Jerusalem. You are witnesses to this.’ Thank You for giving me a mission to be Your witness may I be faithful until I draw my last breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment