Thursday, April 14, 2022

HOLY THURSDAY - 2022

TRIDUUM 2022

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I give you a new commandment:
love one another just as I have loved you,
says the Lord. JN 13:34

EXODUS 12:1-8,11-14 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

The Paschal Triduum begins today - these are the holiest days of the year when the Church refreshes our memory and takes us back in time to contemplate what God has done for us and how He saved us - beginning with His chosen people.

The slavery of the Jews in the land of Egypt is a symbol of our own slavery to sin and to the tyranny of the flesh by which we are ruled all our lives. We cannot liberate ourselves we need a Savior. 

Each of the plagues that the Egyptians suffered was a plague that represented the false gods that they worshipped. We too a plagued by the worship of a myriad of false gods in our lives - wealth, power, status, lust, greed, anger, selfishness, unforgiveness, pride, and so many more. We worship these idols spending the better part of our time on earth being enslaved to them. 

But You never abandon those whom You have chosen for Yourself even though we abandon You over and over again. You came into the world to liberate us from ourselves for we are our own worst enemy.

You are the Lamb of Sacrifice, and You allowed Yourself to be plunged into the hellfire of our sins, and the travesty that we make of our lives, taking all upon Yourself and in the crucible of suffering in Your agonizing passion and crucifixion You absorb all into Your sacred Body and in turn, we receive the imperishable food of the Flesh and Blood of the Lamb without stain or blemish which wells up to eternal life in us. 

Thank You, Lord, for the heavenly food and drink that unites us with You, the Father, and the Holy Spirit and with one another. We receive a foretaste of heaven while still on earth. Thank You!


PSALM 116:12-13,15-18 ©

A celebration of the Holy Eucharist long before You instituted it my Soul's Beloved,

How can I repay the Lord
for his goodness to me?
The cup of salvation I will raise;
I will call on the Lord’s name.

O precious in the eyes of the Lord
is the death of his faithful.
Your servant, Lord, your servant am I;
you have loosened my bonds.

A thanksgiving sacrifice I make;
I will call on the Lord’s name.
My vows to the Lord I will fulfil
before all his people.

1 CORINTHIANS 11:23-26 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

St. Paul was converted soon after Your death and resurrection and we can see that the Eucharist was celebrated from the very beginning. He received this Sacred Tradition from the Apostles and he, in turn, celebrated it and taught those whom he laid hands on and anointed as presbyters to do the same.

The Church, from its inception, has taught that the Eucharist is the source and summit of the Christian life and without it, no church will survive. We see this over and over again as protestant denominations keep fragmenting and will do so until they respond to Your prayer in humility and obedience that all Your followers be one as You and the Father are one. 

You commanded Your Apostles, and their successors to do what You did at the Last Supper as a memorial of You until You return to us again in glory. 

JOHN 13:1-15 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

The drama and the pathos of the Liturgy chosen by the Church in the celebration of the Triduum resonate powerfully with the faithful. Year after year at this time we walk through salvation history and the past comes alive. We are invigorated, refreshed, renewed anew as we contemplate the love of God made visible in You, His only and Eternal Son. 

Today, Maundy Thursday, the Church contemplates the sacred moment when You instituted the Holy Eucharist at the last Passover meal that You ate with Your disciples. We enact the washing of the feet to remind us of the power of service and humility. God came in humility to serve and we in turn are called to serve God and each other. Perfect love, agape love, is the emptying of self for the good of the other.

This is what the Apostle of Love says, that during Your last hours You showed the Church and the world the meaning of authentic, perfect love in the washing of the feet of Your disciples including that of Judas who You knew was about to betray You. 

Simon recoiled from having You touch and wash his feet for it was the work of slaves, and we have this dramatic exchange between You and him,  he said, ‘Lord, are you going to wash my feet?’ And You replied, ‘At the moment you do not know what I am doing, but later you will understand.’ ‘Never!’ said Peter ‘You shall never wash my feet.’ Jesus replied, ‘If I do not wash you, you can have nothing in common with me.’

Anyone who wishes to be Your disciple must heed what You say next to the Apostles after You washed their feet:

 ‘Do you understand’ he said ‘what I have done to you? You call me Master and Lord, and rightly; so I am. If I, then, the Lord and Master, have washed your feet, you should wash each other’s feet. I have given you an example so that you may copy what I have done to you.’

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like Yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment