Saturday, February 20, 2021

SATURDAY AFTER ASH WEDNESDAY - 2021

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I take pleasure, not in the death of a wicked man
– it is the Lord who speaks –
but in the turning back of a wicked man
who changes his ways to win life. EZ 33:11


ISAIAH 58:9-14 


My Soul's Beloved,

The prophet Isaiah reveals how we can live in heaven while still on earth. While none of what he recommends is possible on our own, all is possible with the help of grace and the aid of Your Spirit. We can rid ourselves of the yoke of sin, anger and greed, selfishness and violence, pride and lust and replace each vice with its corresponding virtue. When we do we will find an oasis of peace in the midst of turmoil, and light in the darkness. 

You have shown us the way, grant us the resolve to walk in it. You are the Prince of Peace, and You have left Your peace with us. We are given the commandments the greatest of which is love for God and the next which is love for neighbor. When we keep these faithfully we will be peacemakers and breach-menders, and as Your disciples work to establish Your Kingdom in our midst.

We are weary of our sinful pastimes, that draw us away from You and bring us only discouragement, anxiety, heartache, and dissatisfaction. Grant us the grace to keep the commandments faithfully and we will find life delightful instead of burdensome. Keep us from using our tongue to curse instead of bless, to raise up and build rather than to tear down and destroy. Lead us on the narrow, difficult, but straight path that leads to our inheritance in the Kingdom of God. 

PSALM 86:1-6 

My Soul's Beloved,

It is only when I realize that I am nothing and possess nothing without You, and turn to You for help that I will know that I am needy and all I need is You to be happy. Keep me safe in Your love.

Turn Your Face to me Lord, hear my cry and answer me. Come to my aid as You have always done in the past and give me joy  as I lift up my whole being in praise of You, my Lord and my God.

Thank You for not keeping an account of my offences. Thank You for Your unconditional love. Thank You for Your ear that is always pressed against my lips and for answering even before I complete my prayer.

LUKE 5:27-32 

My Soul's Beloved,

Too often we forget that You came for sinners. To reveal to sinners that all is not lost that we can begin anew. We can be born again in You and receive Your life in abundance.

Levi, the tax collector was considered scum by fellow Jews as well as the Romans. Jews avoided them, hated them and considered them unclean. Not You. You noticed him and You spoke to him, all it took for him to be transformed into a new creation was Your invitation addressed to him personally, 'Follow me.' Just two little words and that was enough. Without a backward glance, grateful to be noticed by You whom he knew by Your reputation which had spread all over Israel, whom he never imagined would wish him to be a disciple, and an Apostle no less, left everything behind and followed You with gladly. 

In his great joy he held a great reception in his house in Your honor, inviting family, friends, and a large number of tax collectors. You were happy to accept and to fellowship with them. This is why You came into the world, for sinners, not the righteous.

There will always be in our midst, those holier than thou folk, who pridefully believe themselves better than those they consider to be sinners. Sadly they are the ones most in need of a Savior although they do not know it. To them You say, as You did to the Pharisees and Scribes who complained, ‘It is not those who are well who need the doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the virtuous, but sinners to repentance.’

I acknowledge O Lord, that I am a sinner, and I need You. Thank You for coming into the world and for dying willingly for me so I may live. 

No comments:

Post a Comment