Thursday, February 25, 2021

(Memorial of Blessed Rani Maria, Virgin, Martyr) THURSDAY OF THE FIRST WEEK OF LENT - 2021

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

A pure heart create for me, O God,
and give me again the joy of your help. PS 50:12,14


ESTHER 4:17 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

There are times in the history of the world and in our lives as well when all seems desperate, all seems lost, our troubles seem insurmountable, and we are helpless in the face of the Enemy. Today we learn from Queen Esther how to approach God in prayer. 

Our help comes from You O Lord. There is no difficulty, no evil, nothing in this life that is not under Your authority, influence, or power, no matter how contrary it may appear to our limited vision.

You are God, there is no other. You are Lord of Lords, King of Kings, and Ruler of the universe. We live in very dark times much like the dark days of trouble that Esther and the Jews in exile experienced, yet, they never forgot that they were God's chosen people despite all the persecution and oppression they suffered. Our God saves.

It is in the very moment when we admit our complete helplessness and acknowledge that we are unable to save or help ourselves that You command Your angels to minister to us.

Armies may line up against us, the foe may charge at us, the war may rage around us, but we are invincible. You are our Warrior, our Stronghold, our Deliverer. The victory is won, You have conquered, and we are no longer strangers and foreigners but citizens of the new Jerusalem in the City of God.

PSALM 138:1-3,7-8 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

This psalm celebrates our confidence in You for You never forsake those who are called by His Name. I thank You for the gift of faith. 

I thank You for the joy of knowing that I can never fully either in this life or the life to come, know the extent of the inexhaustible riches that come from loving you, belonging to you, and being drawn into Your divine life. 

Eternity will not exhaust the unsearchable, unfathomable, wonders of our infinite God. This great adventure of living a life of grace with You in this life continues in eternity. How good it is to know You, to love you, to walk with You, to discover the riches and depths of Your beauty, your goodness,  the wonder that is You, and to never reach the end.

My Lord and my God may I never lose my soul to sin, may I never be separated from You, may I cling to You and depend on You always to keep me safe. I am weak, I am frail, I am easily tempted and fall often. Be merciful to me O Lord a sinner and hide me in your heart so I may never stray from You ever again 

You stretch out your hand and save me,
your hand will do all things for me.
Your love, O Lord, is eternal,
discard not the work of your hands.

MATTHEW 7:7-12 ©

My Soul's Beloved,

We are constantly asking for favors. Most of the prayers that rise up to the throne of God's infinite grace and mercy are prayers of petition, prayers of intercession, an interminable litany of 'give me, give me give me.' Thank You for Your assurance today that God our Father never tires of this childish way of approaching Him and will gladly give us all that we need. However, You have taught us how we ought to pray. The Our Father puts our entire approach to prayer in the right perspective.  

Thank You also for reminding us not to lose our childlike simplicity in running to our Daddy God with our slightest need confident that He will gladly give it to us if it is not detrimental to our soul.

The last verse is a solemn reminder to us that we ought to treat one another as we ourselves want them to treat us. If we kept the two great commandments then we will be unfailingly good, kind, loving, respectful, courteous, and generous with everyone we meet each day. Love for God and love for our neighbor are non-negotiable in God's sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment