Monday, October 19, 2020

Memorial of Saints John de Brébeuf and Isaac Jogues, Priests, and Companions, Martyrs - 2020

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

How happy are the poor in spirit:
theirs is the kingdom of heaven. MT 5:3 

EPHESIANS 2:1-10

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

Like St Paul, all who encountered You have a before and after story. We can testify along with all who have had a deep conversion experience that we are no longer who we once were. With the help, grace, and power that comes from the Holy Spirit, we are created anew. There was a time when we were ruled by the desires of the flesh, lured by the attractions of the world, and easy prey for the devil. Now, having given our lives over to You, Beloved, we strive to put to death all the sinful passions that once ruled us and led us away from the Way of Truth and Life.

Thank You, Beloved, for gently luring me to Yourself although the means were desperately difficult and painful at the time. Thank You for Your great love and mercy that made it possible for me to understand that this world is not my home and that the path that I was on would lead to my eternal death. 

 But God loved us with so much love that he was generous with his mercy: when we were dead through our sins, he brought us to life with Christ – it is through grace that you have been saved – and raised us up with him and gave us a place with him in heaven, in Christ Jesus.

I deserved to die but through the abundant graces of the Sacraments freely poured into my soul through Your great goodness and mercy, I am saved. I know how easy it is to fall from grace because my flesh is weak but I also know that my faith, which is Your gift to me, will sustain me. You have sealed me in Your Holy Spirit and made a Covenant with me in Your Blood. Your love saves me for eternal life. 

We are God’s work of art, created in Christ Jesus to live the good life as from the beginning he had meant us to live it.

PSALM 100:1-5

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

We exult in the knowledge that God created us and we belong to Him. Thank You for revealing to us this truth, that God so loved us that He sent You, His only Son, not to condemn us but to save us. We are created to share Your glory not only in this life but in the life to come.

All who accept You as Lord and Savior praise and glorify You for the wonders that the Father's love has accomplished for all who believe in You. 

You are the Lord of Lords, the King of Kings, to You is given all dominion, authority, power, glory, and majesty and You love us so much You lay down Your life for us and claim us for Yourself eternally. We did not choose You, it was You who chose us and it is You who raise us up with You because we are Yours.

Your saving work has put praise in our hearts and a song on our lips and we will sing songs of thanksgiving to Your glorious Name and bless You as long as have breath.

LUKE 12:13-21

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

So many of us are driven by avarice. Once we embark on the road to acquire possessions we are never satisfied. The more we accumulate the more we desire. We spend our whole life in gaining material wealth, at the cost of family relationships, friendships, and health. Our greed for acquiring more than we need robs others of what is rightfully theirs. This is why when the man in the crowd asked You to tell his brother to share the family inheritance with him You responded that You were not appointed to arbitrate on things that are passing. You warn us to, ‘Watch, and be on your guard against avarice of any kind, for a man’s life is not made secure by what he owns, even when he has more than he needs.’

You then told the parable of the rich but foolish man who had acquired great wealth and made plans to live a life of luxury and comfort, free of anxiety for the rest of his life. He forgot one very important detail though, that death comes like a thief in the night. You remind us that it is more prudent to store up for ourselves treasures that are pleasing to God that no one can steal or destroy.

No comments:

Post a Comment