Wednesday, June 24, 2020

SOLEMNITY OF THE NATIVITY OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST - 2020

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS




He came as a witness,
as a witness to speak for the light,
preparing for the Lord a people fit for him. JN 1:7, LK 1:17




JEREMIAH 1:4-10

John the Baptist is the last of the prophets, and the herald of Your coming into the world as its Redeemer, its Savior, and its Messiah. From the moment Your Mother's greeting reached the ears of his mother, Elizabeth, he leaped with joy and was filled with the Holy Spirit.

Today, the Lord calls Jeremiah and gives him a mission one he was reluctant to accept because he thought he was too young. But the Lord, reproved him gently and assured him that He would equip him for the task.

What God said to Jeremiah, he says to each of us who are baptized into Your body. Today, Beloved, I wish to thank You for Your complete knowledge of me even as I was being formed in my mother's womb. I too am called, I too am equipped for every good work through the graces received in the Sacraments. You command me to speak Your Word boldly, and with courage and assure me that I need not be afraid for You will be with me to protect me. Your Spirit within me will give the words I need to say. I have been created for a purpose, You have already decided the role that I am to play in building Your Kingdom on earth. It may not be an earth-shattering one but it is one that is necessary and is tailored for me alone. Although, God does not need my help, He desires it. Help me Lord to gladly and readily do all that God asks of me, always. 

PSALM 71:1-6, 15, 17

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

The wonderful prayers of the psalms which are also the prayers of the Church, teach me about You and about God's marvelous care and protection of me. It speaks to me about Your goodness, power, mercy, compassion, strength, and intimate knowledge of me.

Your Word, uttered through the songs of the psalmist teaches me that I can always find a home and a refuge in You. They instruct me how to be pleasing to You. They reveal Your plan for my life and how I can fulfill that plan by relying on You completely. I am assured that Your mighty protection will keep me safe. I can trust You always. Keep me faithful to the end. 

1 PETER 1:8-12

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

St. Peter speaks truly when he says that we have not seen You and yet we love You with a love that fills us with indescribable joy. John the Baptist, whose birthday the Church celebrates today, was Your precursor, he came as the last prophet to complete the final preparation for Your coming. He was killed by Herod before he could see all the marvels that You did. He did not live long enough to hear You teach and preach. His task was simply to complete his mission and then to decrease totally. 

The same holds true for us who believe in You, hope in You and love You. We, each in our own way, continue to prepare the Kingdom of God in the world, in the way appointed for us. We must do this joyfully, quietly, hopefully, obediently, and with all the fervor of our being. All the while You must increase in us as we decrease to ourselves so Your Light shines ever more brilliantly in the world as the Good News of our salvation is lived and preached drawing all to the Truth that sets us free.

LUKE 1:5-17

My Beloved, Soul of my soul,

Were it not for the Gospel of Luke, we would not have Your infancy narratives nor this passage about Zechariah and Elizabeth, and the visitation of the Angel to Zechariah in the temple. All these incidents were revealed to Luke by Your Mother, Mary. It was she alone who knew all these marvelous details so intimately, including the prophecy concerning the mission of John the Baptist.

The angel, after telling Zechariah, who was overcome with fear, not to be afraid, he said to the aged and childless Zechariah that his prayer had been answered and his wife, who was now past her childbearing years, would conceive and bear a son. This definitely was not a prayer that Zechariah was praying anymore. He had long since given up hoping for son for by now it would be impossible. It is good to know that with God nothing is impossible and He always hears our prayers and answers them at a time of His choosing. When He does, He answers them in a way that is so amazingly beyond anything we could have hoped for or imagined. The child of their old age was destined for wonderful things. A child filled from his mother's womb with the Holy Spirit would prepare the way for Your coming. This he did faithfully until he was brutally killed by Herod. 

May we too fulfill the mission entrusted to us with courage and boldness, knowing that You are always with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment