Thursday, July 25, 2019

Feast of St. James, Apostle - Reflection

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


I chose you from the world,
to go and bear fruit that will last, says the Lord. Jn 15:16


2 Corinthians 4:7-15, Psalm 126:1-6, 
Matthew 20:20-28


2 Corinthians 4:7-15


My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Our personal testimony, just as the testimony of the Apostles, is the best witness that any one of us who are baptized can give, of the power of God that is alive and at work in us. We are weak, frail, sinful creatures, but because we believe that the Father sent You into the world to reveal His love for us and save us, we are a people of hope. 

We have seen so many holy men and women who have offered their whole lives in preaching and spreading the Good News who suffer greatly, but they are full of joy because, through their witness of Your love, many come to believe in You and are saved.

Every baptized Christian is called to be salt and light in the world. We are called to flavor the world with Your love and to reveal to everyone we come in contact with each day that we are children of God and not children of the world. 


Psalm 126:1-6

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

I was a captive of sin for so long, I was a slave of the world and of the flesh, but You did not abandon me. You never gave up on me but continued to invite me back into the sheepfold. You truly are the Good Shepherd who lay down His life for His sheep. Thank You for the joy of knowing that I belong to You.

Thank You for blessing me abundantly. Thank You for the work that You gave me and for the plans You have for me in the future. You know the desires of my heart and You have always, always, blessed me far more than I have ever deserved. I look at my past blessings and I know that You are a God of faithfulness and I can trust You to continue to pour out Your blessings on me. 

I thank You and praise You, Beloved, now and always.



Matthew 20:20-28

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Today we celebrate the feast of one of the Apostles, James, the brother of John, and the first of the Twelve to be martyred. Like all of us, they too had worldly ambitions and desired to have positions of importance and power. They knew that You were the Son of God and they too wanted to bask in Your glory. Their mother approached You requesting  You to reserve the best places beside You for her sons. 

"Do you know what you are asking?" You said to the mother for if she truly did; if she could see what it would entail, she would have hesitated. They would have to drink the cup of suffering and while both James and John said that they would drink it and You confirmed that they would, You tell them that those places were reserved for whoever God chose. 

When the rest of the disciples heard that the two were jostling for pride of place they were indignant. It was then that You enlightened them about the value of having childlike humility. The worldlywise are constantly jockeying to have the best seat in the house but those who follow You are called to serve humbly and generously, just as You did. We take our cue from You, Beloved, not from the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment