Monday, June 24, 2019

Solemnity of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist - Reflection

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

You, child, will be called prophet of the Most High,
for you will go before the Lord to prepare his way. Lk 1:76


Isaiah 49:1-6, Psalm 139:1B-3, 13-15, Acts 13:22-26,
Luke 1:57-66, 80


Isaiah 49:1-6

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Today as the Church celebrates the Nativity of Your precursor, St. John the Baptist, the prophecy of Isaiah, applies not only to St. John but to everyone who is grafted into Your Body, "The Lord called me from birth, from my mother's womb he gave me my name. He made of me a sharp-edged sword and concealed me in the shadow of his arm. He made me a polished arrow, in his quiver he hid me. You are my servant, he said to me, Israel, through whom I show my glory."

We are all called to be Your Light that shines to the nations in order that salvation reaches the ends of the earth.  

We ought to be immersed in Your Word which in turn will become a lamp to our feet and a light to our path. We out to receive the Holy Eucharist daily and go to Confession regularly. Without this spiritual nourishment and cleansing, we will fall by the wayside. Beloved, keep us faithful to the end.

Psalm 139:1B-3, 13-15

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

We ought to celebrate this intimate knowledge that You have of us. You are always aware of us, protecting us, shielding us, saving us, feeding us, speaking to us, embracing us, welcoming us when we return after straying far from You. You are always ready to forgive and bless. You forget our sins when we are sorry and repent for having sinned against You and our neighbour. 

Thank You for knowing the needs of my soul and for ministering to me always. Thank You for sheltering me in Your Sacred Heart. Thank You for nourishing me with Your Body and Blood. Thank You for all the blessings You have showered upon me both temporal and spiritual and above all thank You for the glorious destiny that awaits me in eternity.


Acts 13:22-26

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

If only what was written of David, son of Jesse, could be said of me, that You have found in me a woman after Your own heart who will carry out Your every wish? The Bible is full of towering men and women who were chosen by God, fashioned by Him for a purpose, to fulfill a certain work that they were empowered to do. Yes, they failed, and some grievously, but they always repented and were forgiven. 

I am aware Beloved, that I am nothing. But sinful, small, weak, and insignificant though I may be, I am still called to be a light, a lamp, a seed, salt, leaven. Thank You for grace that helps me daily even though I fall a hundred times each day.

Great as St. John the Baptist was he was humble and obedient. He was not afraid to acknowledge that he was only preparing the way for one greater than him who was to come whose sandals he was unworthy to unfasten. 

Grant O Lord, Beloved of my soul, that I may be willing to be used always in whatever way You desire to use me. 


Luke 1:57-66, 80

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Miracle babies were born through the course of Salvation History beginning with Isaac. St. John the Baptist was one such miracle. Born long after the barren Elizabeth could ever hope to conceive. 

God has a wonderful way of surprising us with joy when we least expect it. When John was born and Zechariah, his father, confirmed that his name was John, his tongue was loosed and he sang a hymn of praise to God for all the marvels he had done and was about to do, through his son. 

Everyone was amazed when they saw the powerful works of God. It is said that the entire neighborhood was buzzing with news of the mighty things that God had done. They wondered what plans God had in store for this special child.

We are told that the hand of the Lord was with him and he continued to grow strong in spirit. He withdrew from the world and lived in the desert until God decided the time when he would begin the mission that was entrusted to him.

In the world, it is hard to keep our focus on You and on the things of the Spirit. We too need to withdraw often from the noise of the world in order to commune with You to know Your will for our lives. Unless we do this we will find ourselves more and more immersed in the things of the flesh and less and less concerned with the needs of the spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment