Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Acts 6:8-10, 7:54-59, Psalm 31:3-4, 6, 8, 16-17, Matthew 10:17-22

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


Feast of Saint Stephen, first martyr

Blessed is he who comes in the name of the LORD:
the LORD is God and has given us light. Ps 118:26A, 27A


Acts 6:8-10, 7:54-59, Psalm 31:3-4, 6, 8, 16-17,
Matthew 10:17-22 

Acts 6:8-10, 7:54-59

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Those of the world hate those who are in the world but not of it. This is proved time and time again when those with the courage of their convictions are prepared to face death rather than deny what they believe in. So must it be for us who believe in You. The world continues to hate You and Your followers. The world preaches a feel-good gospel, You teach us to deny ourselves, pick up our cross every day, and come follow You who alone are the Way, the Truth, and the Life. 

Those who are prepared to stand up to the enemy like St. Stephen, will be given the grace and the wisdom to refute their accusations with the power of the Holy Spirit. Grant that those who follow You may never be ashamed of You or the Cross and that death is only a crossing over to the Kingdom of Heaven.


Psalm 31:3-4, 6, 8, 16-17

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

All my fears are hidden in me Lord and this is why when they rear their ugly heads I am despondent. You are the God of the impossible, command Lord, say but the word and I will be set free of the sadness that sometimes tends to blanket my spirit. 

I raise my voice and echoing the words of the psalmist I beseech You to:

Be my rock of refuge,
a stronghold to give me safety.
You are my rock and my fortress;
for your name's sake you will lead and guide me.

Into your hands I commend my spirit;
you will redeem me, O LORD, O faithful God.
I will rejoice and be glad because of your mercy.
Rescue me from the clutches of my enemies and my persecutors.
Let your face shine upon your servant;
save me in your kindness.



Matthew 10:17-22

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Christians have always been persecuted. They are a sign of contradiction to the world just as You were. A Christian with courage, prepared to lay down his life for Your sake and for the sake of the Gospel like St. Stephen, is a wondrous thing to behold as Saul discovered and became the Apostle Paul. 

In the daily course of our lives, Christians continue to be persecuted and discriminated against all the time. We ought not to be discouraged that this is so. You have warned us that the world will hate us but if we endure to the end we will be given a share in Your glory. 

No comments:

Post a Comment