Wednesday, August 29, 2018

2 Thessalonians 3:6-10, 16-18, Psalm 128:1-2, 4-5, Mark 6:17-29

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Blessed are those who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven. Mt 5:10
Memorial of the Passion of St. John the Baptist


2 Thessalonians 3:6-10, 16-18, Psalm 128:1-2, 4-5, 
Mark 6:17-29


2 Thessalonians 3:6-10, 16-18

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

As Catholics, we are called to be the salt of the earth and a light to the world. We are called to be role models so others may imitate us. This is especially true of those who are leaders in the Church, those who are called to be its shepherd. 

At all times and wherever we may be we are called to bear in mind that we must model You in every way. This is why we must think before we speak, and ensure that our actions are not contradictory to the message we proclaim.  Anyone who imitates us must not be led astray for having done so.
Psalm 128:1-2, 4-5

My love, Beloved of my soul,

As a child of the Father, as a member of Your Body, the Church, and as the temple of the Holy Spirit I am called to live in fear and awe of the Lord. My fear must be never to wound You who loves me so and to do all in my power to be pleasing to You always.

Thank You for the graces You pour upon me each day m Beloved and grant that I may use those graces well so I may grow strong in the virtues and be pleasing to You always. Amen.
Mark 6:17-29

My Love, Beloved of my soul,

Those of us who have been given positions of authority, influence and power must use them for good and ensure that they do good and only good.  However, it is more common that they become arrogant and use that power for personal gain. They are unable to face criticism and refuse to be held accountable for they believe themselves above the standards to which everyone else is held.

John the Baptism was not afraid to call out the king for living in sin and for giving a bad example to the people. He was aware of the consequences of speaking the unpalatable truth but it did not stop him from doing so. Beloved, it is better to call the sinner to repentance than to pretend all is well and thus be the cause of someone imperiling their immortal soul.

St. John the Baptist lost his life because he dared to speak the truth. It is better to die with once with honor and be taken up to You rather than to live immorally and jeopardize our soul condemning it to eternal death. 

No comments:

Post a Comment