Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Jonah 3:1-10, Psalm 130:1-4, 7-8, Luke 10:38-42

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Blessed are those who hear the word of God
and observe it. Lk 11:28


Jonah 3:1-10, Psalm 130:1-4, 7-8, Luke 10:38-42

Jonah 3:1-10

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Grave sin has the power to separate us totally from Your love, from the love of God. When whole nations sin then we are given up to the effects that we will suffer from our deliberate turning away from You as the world has often found out to its own detriment, from the first. 

Our God is the God of second chances as Jonah found out. He was given another opportunity to carry out the mission that was entrusted to him. When we fulfill the purpose for which we have been created glorious things can happen. Jonah was able to get the whole nation of Nineveh to repent and they were saved. The destruction that was to be visited on them was averted because they fasted, prayed, and turned away from sin.

I may not have such a grand mission as Jonah but I in my own way, am called to give witness to the truth that brings life. I am called to be aware that I belong to the family of God. I am anointed by virtue of my baptism and I must shine Your light in the world even if that light little though it may be will have the power to help another put one foot before the other with confidence - one step at a time. I may be the reason why another may be saved. Help me Beloved never to forget it.

Psalm 130:1-4, 7-8

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Like the psalmist I desire to cry out to You each time I sin, which is often. I am weak Beloved and I fall so many times in the day. Hear my cry to You each time I call for help and make haste to come to my side and help me. Thank You for not keeping a record of my iniquities but for wiping the slate clean each time I come to You with a humble and contrite heart in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Thank You for blotting out all my sins and remembering them no more. Thank You for never giving up on me but staying right beside me even when I am running away from You. Thank You for never giving up on me. Thank You for saving me, for redeeming me, for my hope in You which keeps me alive.

Luke 10:38-42

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Each of us is both Martha and Mary. There are two sides of us one that is full of anxiety, worry, distracted because we are consumed by our obligations, our work, our desperate need to do many things from the often mistaken belief that they will fulfill us and make us happy. This side of us can be stressful, it can make us dissatisfied, it makes us feel sorry for ourselves, put upon, taken advantage of. And more often than not, it is unnecessary as You pointed out to Martha.

She had a good heart. She loved You. She opened her home to You, welcomed You and she wanted to give to You what she thought was expected of her. She resented Mary because she did not understand her sister's love for You. It was a different kind of love. It was a love that wanted to stay close to the Beloved and not lose a moment of the precious time when You would be with them in their home. Your words were food and drink to her and she knew You well enough to know that this too was what You desired.

So when poor frazzled, long-suffering, Martha complained You gently made her aware of what was truly important. When we choose the better part we need have no fear of losing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment