Saturday, September 2, 2017

1 Thessalonians 4:9-11, Psalm 98:1, 7-9, Matthew 25:14-30

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I give you a new commandment:
love one another as I have loved you. Jn 13:24


1 Thessalonians 4:9-11, Psalm 98:1, 7-9, Matthew 25:14-30

1 Thessalonians 4:9-11

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

Your words reflect just what You said to me in Your word this morning. As brothers and sisters, and as members of Your Body, St. Paul reminds us that we are called to show kindness to one another and to love each other. There is no better witness than this that we love one another and to live in peace, understanding, progressing together in the way of perfection and holiness in imitation of our Father.

We are called to be prudent and mind our own business and not be busybodies interfering in matters that do not concern us. We are called to use our time usefully in the work that God has entrusted to us. In this way we will be pleasing to You and to each other.

Psalm 98:1, 7-9

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

As children of the Most High God, we should be joyful always. Our songs of praise, adoration, and thanksgiving should flow constantly from our hearts and our lips. Just as nature gives praise to God without ceasing so my we for we too are Your creation. Joy is the hallmark, the character of a true Christian. I am called to have joy in all the circumstances of my life for I know that You are my Redeemer, my Savior, my Love, my Life. Let us long for the day of Your coming Beloved and prepare for it in glad anticipation when You will come to rule us forever and claim us for Your Own.

Matthew 25:14-30

Dear Love, Beloved of my soul,

In the parable of the talents You remind us that God does not expect more from us than what we are capable of. Each is given gifts and each will be called to account according to the amount of effort we have put into using those gifts to glorify God as we use them in Your vineyard. 

In the parable we see how the one who was given five talents went to work immediately so he increased what was given to him. The one given two talents did likewise. But the one given one talent was lazy, indifferent, careless, had ready excuses lined up to defend his lack of interest in using what God had entrusted to him, little though it was.

Lord, God, may I use what You have given tirelessly. I know I fail miserably and I fail often. Continue to help me with the graces that flow freely from Your loving Spirit. May I never hear those dreadful words spoken to the lazy servant, "Throw this useless servant into the darkness outside, where there will be wailing and grinding of teeth.'"




No comments:

Post a Comment