Friday, July 7, 2017

Genesis 23:1-4, 19; 24:1-8, 62-67, Psalm 106:1-5, Matthew 9:9-13

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest, says the Lord. Mt. 11:28



Genesis 23:1-4, 19; 24:1-8, 62-67, Psalm 106:1-5, Matthew 9:9-13

Genesis 23:1-4, 19; 24:1-8, 62-67

Dear Love,

All Your promises are everlasting as we see throughout salvation history. What was true then is true today and will continue to be true until You come again in glory. You made provision for Isaac. You ensured that he found a suitable helpmate to console and help him. To be his own. One who would be for him a comfort in the time of sadness and loss. 

You will always be with me because belong to You and You will ensure that no matter what difficulties I may have to face in life You will be right there with me carrying my burdens with me for You are yoked to me. Thank You Beloved. 

Psalm 106:1-5

Dear Love,

We are called to be a people of praise and thanksgiving for You have been so very good to us. You are merciful, kind, tenderhearted, full of compassion, slow to anger and ready to forgive the contrite of heart. Lord, if we begin to count Your blessings there will be no end for You have been infinitely gracious to me from the moment I was conceived.

Continue to fill me with Your love and Your Holy Spirit so I may sing songs of gladness and praise to You all my days.

Matthew 9:9-13

Dear Love,

God does nothing by chance. You passed the customs post for the explicit reason of calling Matthew and inviting him to become a part of the chosen 12. Matthew as a man deeply despised by his own people as a traitor and he was despised by those who had employed him the Romans. He would have heard of You, the miracles You had performed, Your extraordinary teachings which stirred the hearts of those who heard You and he would have felt even more alienated, more alone. 

You not only passed his way as he was employed doing exactly that which made him despicable among his people, but You stopped, looked at him in a way that no one had ever looked at him before, You saw his heart, and You said just two words that were to change his life forever, "Follow me." The words of the Gospel tell us that he got up and followed You. 

It was as simple as that. His whole life had turned around simply because You cared enough to make him feel worthy of respect. In the Bible joy is always expressed by a meal. Matthew invited You and Your disciples to dine with him he also invited tax collectors and Pharisees. The Pharisees complained that You singled out sinners and You responded with the words that it would all of us well to remember, 

"Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.
Go and learn the meaning of the words,
I desire mercy, not sacrifice.
I did not come to call the righteous but sinners."


Thank You Beloved for Your assurance that You came for sinners like me. Keep me humble and always aware to show mercy just as mercy has been shown to me.











No comments:

Post a Comment