Thursday, March 16, 2017

Jeremiah 17:5-10, Psalm 1:1-4 & 6, Luke 16:19-31

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


Blessed are they who have kept the word with a generous heart
and yield a harvest through perseverance. Lk. 8:15


Jeremiah 17:5-10, Psalm 1:1-4 & 6, Luke 16:19-31

Jeremiah 17:5-10

My soul's beloved, the word of the prophet is clear - anyone who lives a life dictated by the world and the flesh is barren. It bears no fruit and nothing can take root in it. The grace of God continues to flow but cannot effect any change because the soul is dead. But if we place our hope and our trust in You, if we plant ourselves in You, if we allow the seed of Your Word to find a home in our heart, then living water will spring up in us through the Holy Spirit who is enthroned in our soul. No matter how we are tested we will endure because of the grace that is made available to us in abundance. We shall bear good fruit always. Thank You Father for appointing Jesus as the sole Judge for He who was tempted like us in all things but did not succumb; understands and will temper justice with mercy. 

Psalm 1:1-4 & 6

My soul's beloved, You have shown us the way in which we should go. You have given us Your Word that sustains us and directs us. You have sent Your Holy Spirit to abide in us as our Paraclete, Helper, and Guide. You have given us the Sacrament through which immense graces are granted to us so we choose good over evil. If we abide in You and Your Word abides in us we shall always be pleasing to God. Our lives will be like a fragrant incense before the Throne of Grace. Those who choose to live in the love of God will live in friendship with those who have chosen to live a life of holiness.

You assure us that if we live in the light of Truth and Love we shall have Your life coursing through us and we shall always be fruitful, alive in the life of Your Spirit. Grant O Lord that I choose to walk on the side of Truth always.

Luke 16:19-31

My soul's beloved, today's parable reminds us that the worst sin of all is that of indifference to those around us who are in need of our help. The rich man went in and out of his mansion several times a day but he was quite unaware of miserable beggar lying outside his gate. Before I point a finger of judgement at the rich man it would be better if I direct it to myself and examine my own indifference to those I encounter each day. Am I so caught up with my own selfish needs and desires that I fail to minister to those around me especially those who are closest? Have I failed to hear the suffering in the voices of those who speak to me or have I tuned them out? Have I failed to give even though I have been given so much, not because I don't want to but because I am blind to the need of others. 

For as long as today lasts, as long as life is mine this day I have an opportunity to become more alive to the needs of others and less absorbed in serving my own passions. I have been given everything that is necessary for my salvation for You have been exceedingly generous to me. When the day of reckoning comes my Lord may I not be condemned by my own coldness, and hardness of heart, by my own indifference.

No comments:

Post a Comment