Monday, February 1, 2016

2 Samuel 15:13-14, 30: 16:5-13, Psalm 3:2-7, Mark 5:1-20

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

2 Samuel 15:13-14, 30: 16:5-13, Psalm 3:2-7, Mark 5:1-20

2 Samuel 15:13-14, 30: 16:5-13

My Beloved, these verses show us that we need not always retaliate against those who do us harm even if it is in our power to do so. It is good to reflect on what the other person is saying for often we may hear the truth about ourselves from our enemy. God does not cause evil but He permits them and from it is able to draw good. When people speak ill of us let us examine ourselves honestly so we can correct our faults. Let us seek the good in every situation and learn from the things that annoy us or seem like a hindrance to us. God is present in every situation and if we seek You we will  find You and nothing will trouble us or disturb our peace.

Psalm 3:2-7

My Beloved, of this I can be certain when I call on You for help to save me You will hasten to do so. Even if I must undergo trials Your saving Presence will be with me and I shall not have to struggle alone. You are my strength and my shield. You are my help in times of trouble. You are my Rock and my Stronghold. You are my Deliverer and nothing can destroy me for You my God are with me always until my last breath on earth and my union with You in eternity.

Mark 5:1-20


My Beloved, hear we see that if we consort with the devil we bring about our own ruin. The territory of the Gerasenes was gentile territory and yet You went there. You go everywhere even to places where Jews would not normally venture. All are in need of a Savior and You will go wherever You are needed. You are not restricted by narrow prejudices but make Yourself available to all.

This poor man, tormented by a legion of evil spirits was ostracized from his community. He was demented and a danger to himself and to others. He lived among the dead and wash shackled with chains to restrict his freedom of movement. This is what grave sin does to us as well. We are bound by our sinful appetites and desires and we spiral downwards into the very abyss of hell but as long as we are alive God will continue to seek us and extend His mercy to us.

The Gospel passage tells us that the evil spirits asked that they be permitted to enter into the swine feeding on the hillside there were considered unclean animals according to Jewish tradition, and you gave them leave to do so. Evil spirits are present in our world and they will possess humans if we let them whether knowingly or unknowingly this is why we ought to keep ourselves from dangerous games and pastimes that permits an opening to them. If we do, then like the swine who rushed downhill and drowned in the sea, we too will be hurled into death that is eternal.

Once the man was restored to his senses and was clothed once more with grace and truth he wanted to follow You. It was a natural desire – in You he had found acceptance, compassion, mercy and healing  but  You had other plans for him. You wanted him to go back to his home and his family and to spread the good news of what God had done for him beginning with his own people at home.  Evangelizing is simple – all we are required to do is to just tell everyone what God has done for us. It is the simplest and most effective way of witnessing to our faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment