Thursday, August 28, 2014

1 Corinthians 1:1-9, Psalm 145:2-7, Matthew 24:42-51

FEAST OF ST. AUGUSTINE OF HIPPO

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

1 Corinthians 1:1-9, Psalm 145:2-7, Matthew 24:42-51

1 Corinthians 1:1-9

My Beloved Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, I know that these verses are addressed by St. Paul to Your Church established in Corinth but I claim them for myself for I believe You speak these words of wisdom,encouragement and hope to me this morning.

You have sanctified me and called me to be holy along with my brothers and sisters who have received the same divine call from You who are our Lord.  

Once more You give me Your grace and peace, You have filled me with Your Holy Spirit. Wisdom, knowledge and understanding are Your gifts to me.  You assure me that I lack no spiritual gift and Your promise that You will keep me faithful and steadfast to the end as I look forward to Your glorious coming.  You will never forsake me after calling me and drawing me into fellowship with You and the Church.  This is Your covenant with me.  Thank You.

Psalm 145:2-7

My Beloved Jesus, may my whole life celebrate Your goodness, mercy, compassion and love  You are great, You are our awesome God worthy of praise adoration, love and worship.  May my whole life be a testimony of how You lift the weak and the sinful and You strengthen and make holy.

May my heart, my lips and my whole being sing all day long of Your loving kindness and goodness to this poor creature whom You saved in love. Thank You.

Matthew 24:42-51

My Beloved, here is a word of caution and warning for anyone who has ears to hear.  It is so easy to get caught up in the business of caring for our physical needs that one completely forgets about the more real aspect of life and that this is the spiritual dimension of life that will last eternally.  You give us a reality check in today's Gospel, "Wake up! The time for sleeping is at an end.  There is work to be done, time is running out and you will be called to account."

You do not want us to be caught napping.  Death can come at an hour we least expect and when it does may I be prepared to stand before You like the good servant.  You have held nothing back but poured upon all who belong to the Church You founded everything we require to live in holiness and grace through the Sacraments.  

If I have  used all that I have received wisely to draw others closer to You as well, then I can expect to be received into Your Kingdom to share in Your inheritance. Or I could choose to be stupid, lazy, negligent, wasteful, sinful and wicked believing that time is on my side and I will not have to give an account of the wealth of time I have squandered any time soon.

You have warned me Lord it is now up to me. But I need help, stay with me Lord always.

No comments:

Post a Comment