Tuesday, September 24, 2013

1 Timothy 4:12-16, Psalm 111:7-10, Luke 7:36-50

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

1 Timothy 4:12-16, Psalm 111:7-10, Luke 7:36-50


1 Timothy 4:12-16

My Beloved, Timothy was a young disciple of St. Paul whom he loved as dearly as a father. He instructs him as all good fathers do on how to conduct himself especially since Timothy too was a teacher and preacher of the Good News. St. Paul reminds him that a good character is essential for one who is evangelizes and is a witness to the faith.

He also advises him to spend his time well by reading, preaching and teach. He also urges him to use the spiritual gift he received when the elders laid their hands on him. We do not what this gift is but St. Paul urges him to use it.

Like Timothy, we too must be faithful and steadfast to the call that each of us has received and labor diligently in the Lord's vineyard until we come to the end of our journey on earth.

Psalm 111:7-10

Verse 10
10 The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
prudent are those who live by his precepts.
To him belongs everlasting praise.

My Beloved, it is strange that some people who one would imagine out to know better get nervous when they read the words ' the fear of the Lord' in Scripture to God and nervously replace it with 'the love of the Lord.' They have not really understood what Scripture reveals to us. They do not comprehend the fact that I tremble in fear to do anything that may wound You whom I am called to love with all my heart, my mind, my soul and all my strength because You loved me first.


Luke 7:36-50


When we pass from this life to the next we will hear You say to us, Verse 2 "What is this I hear about you? I want you to render an account of your service for it is about to be terminated.’ Have we been exceedingly careful in looking after our physical well being and neglected our spiritual need?  Have we spent all our time and resources in ensuring we have a sleek, well kept, physical body and our souls are weak, sick and neglected?

If You find us trustworthy You will give us greater responsibilities.  We have to choose who we will serve because, as You remind us, it is impossible to divide our loyalties between God and the world. Grant me the grace to choose You and eternal things over every thing else every time.



No comments:

Post a Comment