Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Joel 2:12-18, 2Corinthians 5:20-6:2, Psalm 51:3-6ab, 12-13, 14 & 17, Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18


 
A S H   W E D N E S D A Y 
1ST DAY OF LENT

This Lent disarm with agape love.  Spend time in listening to the Holy Spirit.
________________________________________________________________

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

Joel 2:12-18, 2Corinthians 5:20-6:2, Psalm 51:3-6ab, 12-13, 14 & 17, Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18
Joel 2:12-18

This Lent the Lord is asking us for a total metanoia - a turning back from sin and a turning to God with hearts broken with sorrow, contrition and repentance. Begging our merciful God to relent from His righteous and just anger and instead to show us mercy and compassion for we are after all His own, poor, weak, sinful children wounded by the sin of disobedience of our first parents.

Grant that our prayers, our fasts and our alms giving be pleasing to God our Father as we offer them through His Beloved Son who laid down His life for us in order to redeem us.  Let us come to the Lord alone and as a community to pray for ourselves and for one another that God may yet have pity on our fallen world and spare us the punishment we so rightly deserve.

The world knows not that You discipline Your children as a loving Father so do not permit the world laugh us to scorn and ridicule us, but hasten O Lord to save us so they will know that our God lives and reigns in His Body the Church and in her members.

Thank You Lord for Your pity and compassion.

2 Corinthians 5:20-6:2

Lord God may we never forget that we are ambassadors of Christ.  We can either shame Him or make Him proud of us. Thank You my Beloved for sharing our shame in order that we may have a share in Your holiness.  

Hear our prayers my Beloved as we raise those we love and ask You to spare those who have turned away from You in ignorance.  They have been baptized and share the grace of being children of God let them not squander this grace entirely to the detriment of their eternal soul.  This is the time Lord, this is the Season of the  plenitude of grace when You draw all those who rend their hearts and fill them with the fullness of Your own Holy Spirit.

Psalm 51:3-6ab, 12-13, 14 & 17

Lord, have mercy on me
Christ, have mercy on me
Lord have mercy on me

I have sinned and I deserve Your punishment and Your anger but have O Lord, relent and show compassion to this poor miserable sinner who has recourse to none other but You.  Who can save but Your Lord?

You can restore my soul to its baptismal purity and grace.  I desire to be clean once more.  I Promise to renounce sin with Your help and walk again in the Light of Your Holy Spirit.  Give me a new heart and a new spirit in order that I may love You as You ought to be loved.  Spare me Lord and save me.  Do not turn Your Face from me but instead forgive and restore me me once more to the family of God and fill me with grace so I may walk in the Light of Your Truth.

Open my lips this lent so I may praise You with song and with a glad heart.  Amen!

Matthew 6:1-6, 16-18

My Beloved this first verse is a warning to me. You have been exceedingly generous and gracious with me.  All that I have received is through sheer grace and I have a tendency now and then to feel pleased about myself and I preen a little before some.  Forgive me Lord this displeases You and in this verse You warn me about such infantile behaviour that dishonors God's goodness to me. 

All I have has been given to me and were You to withdraw Your grace I would be less than a puff of wind.  

My Beloved, I thank You for teaching me the disciple of fasting through the year.  I remember how frightfully difficult this was at one stage in my life.  I have also seen how it has helped me over the years to gain mastery over myself. 



No comments:

Post a Comment