Monday, May 23, 2011

Psalm 119:67, 71, 76-77, Acts 14:5-18, John 14:21-26, Psalm 115:1-4, 15-16

Daily Meditation:  Psalm 119:67, 71, 76-77

Psalm 119:67, 71, 76-77

67 Before I was afflicted I went astray, but now I obey your word.
71 It is good for me to have been afflicted, for I have deeply learned your statutes.
76 Comfort me then with your unfailing love, as you promised your servant.
77 Let your mercy come to give me life, for your law is my delight.

My Beloved, how true these verses are of my own life.  Yes, there was a time before sorrow afflicted me when I kept straying away from You.  I wandered in the way of sin often, until You struck me with a great sorrow that will be remain with me as long as I live.  It was at this time, when I was inconsolable, that You stooped over me and raised me up.  It was in the darkest hours of my life when Your Word gave me new hope.  As my faith grew strong so did my love for You.  Since then Beloved, You have become my light, my hope, my strength, my song, my deliverer, my joy, my peace and my heart's delight.  

I called on the Lord in times of trouble
And with the swiftness of an eagle He stooped to answer me.
Danger and distress lurked around me and I was terrified.
In my fear I called on the Lord.
More tenderly than a mother He comforted me.
I will sing to my Beloved always.
His praise will be ever in my heart and on my lips.
The love of the Lord overwhelms me,
Like a mighty river it rushes over me and I drown in joy.
My Lord delights in my love.
He calls me by my name
He whispers it softly in my ear
As gentle as the evening breeze, He soothes and calms me
He chases away my fears.
He calls me sister, bride, heart's delight.
I respond, my Beloved,
My Lord and my God.
 
Daily Mass Readings: Acts 14:5-18, John 14:21-26, Psalm 115:1-4, 15-16

Acts 14:5-18

Again we see Beloved how You draw good from evil.  Nothing can be so impossibly, horribly wrong, that You cannot draw tremendous good from it. You are God and with You all things are possible.  The Good News was preached wherever the Apostles went.  Their persecution meant that they had to flee to new places for safety and there the people were given the opportunity to hear about You and be saved.

Where faith is present, there is nothing God cannot do as we see in verses 9-10.
Verses 17-18 reminds us that You constantly shower good on us, Your mercy remains with us and You fill us with Your Holy Spirit who gives us all we need to live holy and joyful lives.

John 14:21-26

Beloved, the more familiar we are with Your Word the greater will its ability be to comfort us as we recall it and draw strength from its power.
We can keep Your commands only if we know them.  To know Your Word is to know You, to know You is to know the Father who sent You.  If we love You, You promise us that we will be loved by the Father for this is what He wants from us.  To acknowledge that You are His Son, that He sent You to save us and that it was love alone that prompted Him to do so.

Our love and obedience will evoke a powerful response from both the Father and You and we will belong to You eternally.  You will give us the greatest of all gifts in the Holy Spirit as a Guide, Counselor, Paraclete, Helper who will lead us deeper into the Truth and into the very depths of the life of the Triune God.

Psalm 115:1-3 

Not to us, O Lord, not to us,
but to your name be the glory,
for the sake of your love and faithfulness.
Why should the pagans say,
“Where is their God?”
There in heaven is our God;
whatever he wishes, he does.

No comments:

Post a Comment