Monday, February 27, 2017

Sirach 17:20-24, Psalm 32:1-2, 5-7, Mark 10:17-27

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


Jesus Christ became poor although he was rich,
so that by his poverty you might become rich. 2 Cor. 8:9




Sirach 17:20-24, Psalm 32:1-2, 5-7, Mark 10:17-27


Sirach 17:20-24

My soul's beloved, in You alone is forgiveness of sin. Though my sins be as scarlet You have the power to cleanse me thoroughly of all my iniquities. You have the power to strengthen me so I can avoid temptations. You are the Way, the Truth, and the Life if I remain in You then You will keep be safe from all the lures of the enemy set to trap and destroy me. Grant me the grace to pray constantly, to be firm and and steadfast in faith. May I praise You constantly giving You all the glory for You sustain me, You keep me alive, You nurture me. Grant O Lord that as long as I have breath in my body I shall not cease to marvel at You great love for me and praise You for every grace and blessing that You constantly rain upon me.

Psalm 32:1-2, 5-7

My soul's beloved, in You alone is forgiveness of sin. You alone are empowered with righteous judgement and You raise up or convict. You love those who strive to live pure and holy lives. Who struggle constantly against the world, the flesh, and the devil and with Your help overcome the temptations that assail us constantly. Heaven rejoices when a sinner repents and comes home, heaven rejoices when we overcome our natural tendency to give in to sin. But frail as we are, we will fall but if we are truly sorry and confess our sins You hasten to forgive and You will forget our transgressions. You take away our guilt and You restore what was lost.

Keep me faithful Beloved, grant me the grace to pray constantly so that grace may always be available to me and no matter how deep the waters, is shall not lose my foothold for I am planted in You. Preserve me from the snares of the devils and keep me safe in the shadow of Your mighty protection.

Mark 10:17-27

My soul's beloved, I have read this passage in the gospel about the rich man often, I have heard homilies preached and I can understand how the man felt for I recognize myself in him. I may not be a person of great wealth but I have never wanted for anything and have loved my creature comforts. It is difficult to give up a life of ease, a life of catering to the senses if not wantonly, but if I am honest, often. I may not sin gravely but I have dabbled in the murky pool of sin.

Here we see a man who has heard of You, knows that You are leaving on a journey and is aware that he may perhaps not see You again. He has run all the way in case he misses You and when he finds You runs up to You and kneels down. All this is a clear indication that he is aware of who You are and he honors You.  He asks the question that anyone who desires to be Your disciple must ask at some point in their life, "What must I do to inherit eternal life?" The answer You give him is clear. It is not enough to just know the commandments one must keep them. The man responds that he has kept them from his youth, which is a wonderful thing, not many of us can make that same claim. You knew he was telling the truth and we are told that You looked at him and loved him. 

The man had made progress in his spiritual journey and now had come to a crossroads in his life. He seemed to desire more, to have a deeper relationship with God and You revealed that he was right, it is not just enough to obey the commandments, to truly live the life of a radical Christian, he had to give up his wealth, his position, his family, all that tied him to his old life, and giving it all to the poor, to return and follow You.

It was time of testing. If the young man was prepared to do as You asked, perhaps You would have not required him to make that sacrifice but he would never know for he found it too hard to give up his material possessions. He went away sad. We can be attached to many things not necessarily wealth but friends, possessions, family that keep us from loving God completely. Thankfully Beloved, You assure us that with while it is impossible for us to save ourselves, with You all things are possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment