Monday, August 21, 2017

Judges 2:11-19, Psalm 106:34-37, 39-40, 43-44, Matthew 19-16-22

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


Blessed are the poor in spirit;
for theirs is the Kingdom of heaven. Mt 5:3



Judges 2:11-19, Psalm 106:34-37, 39-40, 43-44, Matthew 19-16-22



Judges 2:11-19

Dear Love, my Soul's Beloved,

Despite all that God had done for the chosen people, despite all the marvels and the miracles, they still sinned grievously over and over again. The sin of Adam has wounded and weakened us to such an extent that we tend to revert to godlessness every time we place ourselves in the way of temptation. 

Looking at the world today, at the violence, the evil, the loss of all sense of sin and shame, at the way we twist wrong with words to make it sound right and thus deceive ourselves we have played right into the hands of Satan. Despite all the progress the world has made we have used that progress to take us even further away from You and from the path of holiness. 

How much longer Beloved, will we continue in  the way that leads to death? When will be regain our moral compass and return to the Way of the Lord? Grant that it may be soon before it is too late.

Psalm 106:34-37, 39-40, 43-44

Dear Love, my Soul's Beloved,

It would seem that from the earliest times after the fall men and women have sinned willfully and terribly. They have deliberately turned away from You, the God of Love and chosen to wallow in evil and depravity. Despite all that You have done for us, despite sending You to us and redeem us, despite pouring out Your Holy Spirit on us and making it possible to lead holy lives, there is that terrible legacy received from our first parents that draws us, attracts us and invites us to make sinful choices.

St. Paul lamented, and we lament with him, who can free me from my sinful flesh? We echo his answer, "Thanks be to God in Christ Jesus who has won the victory for us." Stay with me Beloved, or else I too shall be lost.

Matthew 19-16-22

Dear Love, my Soul's Beloved,

The young man who approached You in today's Gospel was on the horns of a dilemma. His spirit longed to do what was good but his flesh could not give up what it craved. We are no different at least I know that I am very much like that poor rich man. I want to please God. I want to obey the commands and walk in the way that leads to life, to choose the narrow  path which is difficult and which few tread. I know the choices I ought to make that will make me happy and will lead to eternal life, and yet, and yet, how often, I given into the cravings of the flesh. I refuse to exert my will to choose what I know I ought. I lack the discipline that ought to make me turn away resolutely from temptation. 

I come to You morning after morning and like the young man I ask, "Beloved, what good must I do to gain eternal life?" And You reply and You tell me all I ought to do and instead of staying close to You, acknowledging that I cannot do it on my own, and clinging to You like a limpet so You can live, move, and act in me, I turn away from You sad, because I would rather drink from murky, stagnant pools to slake my thirst than to permit You to lead me to fresh streams of living water where I can revive, and refresh my dropping spirit.

Have mercy on me O Lord and help me for I find I cannot help myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment