Friday, March 10, 2017

Ezekiel 18:21-28, Psalm 130:1-8, Matthew 5:20-26

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


Cast away from you all the crimes you have committed, says the LORD,
and make for yourselves a new heart and a new spirit. Ez. 18:31


Ezekiel 18:21-28, Psalm 130:1-8, Matthew 5:20-26


Ezekiel 18:21-28

My soul's beloved, today I am reminded that a life of iniquity is no small matter and a life of virtue is most pleasing to God. It is also a most sobering thought that despite living a whole lifetime of goodness if in the end I shall wind up living in grave sin then the justice of God will demand that my soul taste eternal death. However, You remind me that You are tender, merciful, compassionate, quick to forgive and to forget my sins forever if I should repent, turn away from sin and embrace a life of virtue. Thank You for Your wonderful assurance that it is never too late to return to You and to receive a welcome into the fold.

Psalm 130:1-8

My soul's beloved, how good it is to know that one as miserably weak as I am, as self-indulgent as I am need not ever be afraid that I will be rejected when I come back to You with a truly repentant and contrite heart. Your ear is always attuned to my voice and when I cry out to You to hasten and forgive me for I have sinned You will do as I ask and more for You are generous and kind, slow to anger and abounding in love. You are gracious and merciful and I can always be assured of a place with You each time I repent and resolve with Your help to sin no more. You do not keep an account of my transgressions, if You did Beloved, there would be no hope for one such as I. In You is mercy and kindness, forgiveness and redemption. Thank You.

Matthew 5:20-26

My soul's beloved, to be righteous is to always seek and do the will of God. The Pharisees followed the letter the law not its spirit and this is why You remind those who follow You that it is not enough to keep the law it is more important to discern God's will and act accordingly. We are called to love in all circumstances no matter how great the provocation to hate and anger.  You say that no gift will be accepted, all all offerings rejected if when we approach You in prayer and find that someone has something against us, not if we have something against another. This is sobering. We must approach the ones we have offended, reconcile with them and then turn our face to You in prayer. Nothing is more important to You than that we love each other as God loves us and our love for You has to consume us for You are God. Purgatory is real. Hell is real. May I never take eternity lightly or my final destiny for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment