Sunday, October 23, 2016

Sirach 35:12-14, 16-18, Psalm 34:2-3, 17-19, 23, 2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18, Luke 18:9-14

Daily Holy Mass Readings

God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ,
and entrusting to us the message of salvation. 2 Cor 5:19


Sirach 35:12-14, 16-18, Psalm 34:2-3, 17-19, 23, 2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18, 
Luke 18:9-14

Sirach 35:12-14, 16-18

My soul's beloved, I love the book of Sirach and all that he says in these verses are made manifest in You as You act in perfect accordance with the desire of the Father. But to us is revealed that God is love even while it is also perfectly true that You are a God of justice. However, before we speak of justice we must know that God's nature is love this is why His ear is attuned to the weak, the poor, the marginalized, the outcast, the widow, the orphan, the deaf, the mute, the cripple, the leper, and those whom the world has crushed through indifference. 

You saw everything. Even while the crowds pressed around You clamoring to be healed, to be heard, or just to listen to You teach, You were able to recognize the ones who were most in need and You reached out and met them at the point of their need and ministered to them and made them whole.  Grant me this sensitivity as well Lord. Even though I may not be able to do much, help me to give what I can, no matter how little that may be, let me give it wholeheartedly for love of You.

Psalm 34:2-3, 17-19, 23

My soul's beloved, the psalmist echoes what Sirach says. You are close to the brokenheartd, those who are crushed in spirit, who have no one to act on their behalf and ensure that justice is granted to them. You are a God who saves, who redeems, who sets free from every form of bondage and slavery. You hear the cry of everyone who calls to You with sincerity of heart and You will act on their behalf. All that we know of You reveals to us that You are trustworthy and praise for all You have done for us will well in our hearts and spill from our lips. You O Lord, our God are worthy of all love, praise, adoration, worship, and thanksgiving..

2 Timothy 4:6-8, 16-18

My soul's beloved, all who are baptized into Your Body, are called to imitate You. Just as You poured Yourself out in love to save the world, so too are we called to pour out ourselves, no matter how little we are, for others. At the end of our life on earth we must be able to say, It is accomplished," as You did from the Cross. Like St. Paul we must say at the close of our life "I have competed well; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith." If in all sincerity we can say this then the crown of glory will be granted to us. 

Let us not worry if we are persecuted, if no one stands with us, if we are alone for You will always be with us and that is enough. You battle on behalf of those who belong to You and You have assured us that victory already belongs to us. Thank You for calling me from darkness. Thank You for constantly forgiving me my sins. Thank You for strengthening me at every Eucharist. Thank You for Your promise of eternity with You in the Kingdom.

Luke 18:9-14

My soul's beloved, there is always a danger that I may act like the Pharisee when I pray rather than the tax collector who was aware of his unworthiness before You and acknowledged that he was a sinner.

Any good I do, any prayer I pray is possible only because You provide the grace. The self-righteous are judgmental, critical, and are able to pick our the faults in others no matter how small while they are completely blind to their own glaring shortcomings. Preserve me from this ever present weakness and danger in myself. Keep me humble of heart. Help me never to believe I am without sin for then I would be deluding myself - only God is sinless. Help me always to run to You and confess my sins with true repentance and receive the forgiveness that You will readily grant me in order that I may be restored once more life in You. Humility is the hallmark of God. Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.  Amen. help me to always remember that I too, knowing that I am a sinner, to remain humble.

No comments:

Post a Comment