Thursday, October 27, 2016

Ephesians 6:10-20, Psalms 144:1-2, 9-10, Luke 13:31-35

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord.

Glory to God in the highest and on earth peace to men on whom his favor rests. Lk 19:38;  2:14

Ephesians 6:10-20, Psalms 144:1-2, 9-10, Luke 13:31-35


Ephesians 6:10-20

My soul's beloved, St. Paul tells us how we can battle effectively against the powers of darkness which is presently casting its evil all over the world. We see death, destruction, division, everywhere. We live in a culture of death in our thoughts, words, and actions and death is celebrated everywhere - the death of morality, of holiness, of perseverance in virtue. All that is truly good, noble, pure, chaste, prudent is laughed at and scorned. In order to preserve ourselves from this pollution and resist evil we must put on the armor of God. The armor of truth, righteousness, faith, the salvation that You have won for us, the power and might of the Spirit and the Word of God which can cut through bone and marrow to the spirit. We are called to prayer and intercede always and everywhere for those who are actively involved in missionary work all over the world. For those who have given up a life in the world to obey Your call to serve as Your anointed ministers, and as religious men and women who live by the vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience in order to make up for the excess in the world.

Just as St. Paul asks for the power to speak boldly, so grant us this same power - not to hold back timidly but to open our mouth in defense of the truth trusting the words will be given to us. Let us consider ourselves as prisoners of love as we do our part in ensuring that all experience Your merciful love and thus come to be saved.

Psalms 144:1-2, 9-10

My soul's beloved, You are my Rock, my Fortress, my Deliverer. You are my hiding place. You train me every day to fight the good fight and to run the race with fortitude. When I am weak You make me strong. When I want to give up You encourage me to go on. The prize is not won by the fainthearted but the valiant. I am weak Lord You know it and I know it this is why I must always cling to You. With You and in You all things are possible but without You I will die. Thank You for Your grace freely poured out at every Sacrament and each time I receive You in the Holy Eucharist. 
You put a song of praise in my  heart, You give me hope, You supply peace in midst of the adversity and courage when I have none. You walk with me always and You will remain with me all my days and deliver me from the wiles of the devil. Thank You,

Luke 13:31-35

My soul's beloved, it is hard to be courageous in the face of grave danger and threat to our lives but here You teach us to trust that no harm will come to us unless the appointed hour has arrived to glorify God. In life as in death we belong to You and we carry out the mission granted to us in season and out of season. We must never tire of loving and carrying out our duties in love for as long as this day lasts. 

You knew that unless Your mission was complete the enemy had no power over You so You continued doing what the Father sent You to do, You were also aware that You had not yet come to the place where all prophets before You were killed. You had not come yet to Jerusalem.  You knew the fate that awaited You there and yet You mourned lovingly over it and over those who would pursue You relentlessly until they killed You. In doing so they were bringing about that hour in which the Son of Man would be raised between heaven and earth and become the bridge, the gateway that made it possible for us to enter heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment