Saturday, September 3, 2016

1 Corinthians 4:6-15, Psalm 145:17-21, Luke 6:1-5

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

I am the way the truth and the life, says the Lord; no one comes to the Father except through me. Jn 14:6

1 Corinthians 4:6-15, Psalm 145:17-21, Luke 6:1-5

1 Corinthians 4:6-15

My soul's beloved, we have received the treasures of our faith through the witness of the Apostles who handed it down faithfully to their successors. The rich deposit of faith carefully safeguarded against all error has also been faithfully handed down from one generation of the faithful to the next. Yet, how often, we disregard those who have sacrificed everything to ensure that the faith is preached to us, and the Holy Eucharist and the rest of the Sacraments are administered to us.  Each of Your anointed and consecrated servants is alter Christus and we ought to treat them with great love and reverence. They have sacrificed all that the world had to offer, family, possessions, children of their own, wealth and much more besides, in order to live a life of poverty, chastity and obedience to the way of life You called them to, in order that we may receive the Word of Life.

Thank You for each one of Your consecrated servants. May we be ever grateful to them, be mindful of their sacrifices daily and like the holy women who accompanied You and took care of You, the Apostles and disciples, may we do never hesitate to give of our love, time, and resources. You have said if we give them just a cup of cold water, we will receive a heavenly reward.

Psalm 145:17-21

My soul's beloved, the psalmist celebrates Your goodness, Your righteousness, Your faithfulness and mercy and invites all creatures to do the same. You are close to all who call on Your Name, that Name that God has raised above every other and has ordained that at Your Name every knee shall bow, every tongue confess to His glory, that You are Lord. Every good and perfect gift is granted to those who call on You. Who trust You to supply all our needs. You hear every sigh, every cry, and Your loving heart is always moved to tender mercy and compassion and Your flood our souls with every grace and blessing to enable us walk the narrow road to leads to eternal life. Grant my soul's beloved, that all my thoughts, my words, and my actions may sing in celebration praise for all that God has accomplished for us in and through You.

Luke 6:1-5

My soul's beloved, You summed it up summarily to the Pharisees who could see no further than their blinkered vision, "The Son of Man is Lord and rules over the sabbath."

How often I am guilty of having the same tunnel vision as the Pharisees, it is easy to look at them with scorn because of their narrow view of the Law and Scripture and their hypocrisy in interpreting it and applying it to their own lives. Like the Pharisees I often judge on what I see from where I stand, I know nothing of the true circumstances that lead people to do what they do, I am devoid of all compassion and mercy, and I arbitrarily condemn them. 

Like You my beloved, let mercy and compassion be foremost in all my thoughts and words instead of being close minded and judgmental. May I learn from You and imitate You always bearing in mind that the Father has appointed You as sole judge of all humanity. 

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Yours. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment