Friday, June 17, 2016

2 Kings 11:1-4, 9-10, Psalm 132:11-14, 17-18, Matthew 6:19-23

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

2 Kings 11:1-4, 9-10, Psalm 132:11-14, 17-18, Matthew 6:19-23

 2 Kings 11:1-4, 9-10

My soul's beloved, men cannot thwart the plan of God. Evil may plot many schemes but they will all fail. It is God who chooses who He wills and entrusts to them the mission to carry out His work of salvation.  God has triumphed. The victory is won.

Psalm 132:11-14, 17-18

My soul's beloved, You have claimed us for Yourself. Your favor rests on us who are baptized into Your Body. From the descendants of David would be born the Son of God. God remained faithful to the Covenants He made with Abraham, Isaac and David. From the line of David God would come the Savior of the world, the Son of God, the Messiah who would set His people free and rout the Enemy, crushing the head of evil under His heel and vanquishing death forever. On You was placed the Crown of Glory and Your rule will last eternally.

 Matthew 6:19-23

 My soul's beloved, all the treasures of this world, all the accolades that the world bestows, and all that the world trumpets as desirable is like so much rubbish. It is here today and gone tomorrow. There is nothing that the world can offer that will last. The people with the greatest wealth, fame and power will eventually die and they will be forgotten. You remind us today of another kind of wealth that we must store - the kind were thieves cannot steal nor rust destroy. If I am passionately involved in the things of the earth then I will fail to lift up my eyes to the light and my heart and my spirit will never encounter the truth for I will be blind to it. 

If I choose the things of this world over the treasures of the Kingdom then the Light of God and the gift of faith will be extinguished from my soul and I will condemn myself to eternal death.  But You have saved me and You have won the victory for me. You have chosen me and have claimed me for Yourself. Let me hide in You Lord for I confess that without You I will die.

No comments:

Post a Comment