Tuesday, May 17, 2016

James 4:1-10, Psalm55:7-11, 23, Mark 9:30-37


DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS


James 4:1-10, Psalm55:7-11, 23, Mark 9:30-37


James 4:1-10


My soul’s beloved, St. James does not mince words. He does not waste time beating around the bush but speaks the truth bluntly and forcefully. Truth leads us to God and that is what he desires that we should know and embrace. There is discord in the world because we are selfish and we seek the things of the world and the flesh. However, these things draw us away from You and from our goal which is union and friendship with You and enmity with the world. 

The Holy Spirit which is poured into our hearts longs to perfect our love for You with the single minded longing of a jealous lover who wants all of us not parts. He knows that to allow God to have total possession of us will make us perfectly happy but we have to first resist the siren call of the world which can only lead to sadness, loneliness and despair.   

My souls beloved, You desire to shepherd me among the lilies. You wish to raise me up from the mire of the world so I can walk with You in purity, in love and in truth. Thank You for Your Holy Spirit who abides in me and helps me.


Psalm55:7-11, 23



I said, “If I had wings like a dove, I would fly away and be at rest;

I would seek a home in the desert or hurry to find a cave for shelter from the tempest.”

10 O Lord, shatter their plans. In the city I see strife and violence; 11 day and night they prowl about its walls, while inside, evil prevails.

23 Place your burden on the Lord, and he will sustain you, for he never allows the upright to fall.



Mark 9:30-37


My soul’s beloved, Shepherd of my soul, to those who belong to You, the sheep of Your flock, You reveal the laws, truths and principles of the Kingdom of God. There is no road to perfection other than the way of suffering. Love cannot die and although You gave Yourself up to the enemy and they nailed You to the Cross where You offered Yourself as the perfect Victim for the expiation of all our sins, death could not hold You. You rose again and if there is just one thing we can remember, and practice, it must be this, that only when we make ourselves little can we receive divine life. True humility seeks to forget self - seeking always the good of the other. It is not easy Lord but with help from the Holy Spirit and grace made available to us in the Sacraments it is possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment