Monday, July 1, 2013

1 Kings 19:16b, 19-21, Galatians 5:1, 13-18, Psalm 16: 1-2, 5, 7-10, Luke 9:51-62

DAILY HOLY MASS READINGS

1 Kings 19:16b, 19-21, Galatians 5:1, 13-18, Psalm 16: 1-2, 5, 7-10, Luke 9:51-62

http://www.bibleclaret.org/bibles/english.htm



1 Kings 19:16b, 19-21

My Beloved, God had a plan for Elisha, he was to be a prophet in place of Elijah.  This was God's will for him.  

Elisha's work of plowing the field was done God had a new work in a new field planned for him but God needed Elisha's consent in order for God's plan for his life to be fulfilled.  Elijah's mantle was to fall on Elisha's shoulder and Elisha knew exactly what this sign meant but he wanted more time.  However when God calls the time is 'now' it is urgent and if we are unwilling to break away from everything that holds us back then God will find another to do the work that He desires us to do.  

Elisha wanted to do God's will and so he made a clean break with his past.  He burned his boats so there was no going back and he followed the Lord's call with a single mindedness that is required of every disciple.

Galatians 5:1, 13-18

My Beloved, there is the yoke of slavery to the world and to sin and there is the Yoke that You place on us which is easy for the burden of love is light. Sin brings death, the Spirit brings life.  The Spirit enables us to walk in the freedom that belongs to the children of God.  The world cannot enslave those who belong to You with its lies and snares - we reject the world with the help of God's own Holy Spirit who abides in us and walks with us.            

Psalm 16: 1-2, 5, 7-10


I bless the Lord who counsels me;
even at night my inmost self instructs me.
I keep the Lord always before me;
for with him at my right hand,
I will never be shaken.
My heart, therefore, exults, my soul rejoices;
my body too will rest assured.
10 For you will not abandon
my soul to the grave,
nor will you suffer your holy one

to see decay in the land of the dead.

This is my prayer to You today my Lord, keep me safe from the sin of pride and self-righteousness.  Keep me humble.  I want to hide in You safe from the snares and wiles that can tempt me and lead me away from You.

You are my Lord and my God.  You are my Good.  In baptism I was made co-heir with You to the Kingdom of God and I call Your Father, Abouna.  I desire only that which You wish to give nothing more and nothing less.  The song of the Psalmist in verses 7-10 are my own.  Every part of me belong to You and I rejoice because I am wholly Yours all the days of my life here on earth and eternally with You in heaven.

Luke 9:51-62

Verse 51
When the days drew near for him to be taken up, he set his face to go to Jerusalem. 

Verse 62 
 And Jesus said to him, “Whoever has put his hand to the plow and looks back is not fit for the kingdom of God.”

My Beloved, a disciple after hearing the call must  know clearly what the call means, what is required of a true disciple and the disposition that a disciple must possess.  To be happy with You only only one thing is needed, "Give all you have to the poor and then come follow Me."

No comments:

Post a Comment